• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do doughnuts have holes?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I've always wondered this. It's like you've been robbed of a piece of sugary goodness. Just what do they do with the missing piece of the squidgy jigsaw?

Dabs

Registered Member
Not sure about where you live Bliss, but here in my area, that little piece of the middle they remove to make a doughnut, is then used to make what we call a "donut hole". Dunkin Donuts calls them Munchkins I believe. And they taste exactly like the good ole donut, except they are a small perfectly shaped little ball.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Not sure about where you live Bliss, but here in my area, that little piece of the middle they remove to make a doughnut, is then used to make what we call a "donut hole". Dunkin Donuts calls them Munchkins I believe. And they taste exactly like the good ole donut, except they are a small perfectly shaped little ball.
This is what they do with the doughnut hole. It's pretty delicious. I like mine with cinnamon and sugar. De-fricken-licious.

I think I remember hearing at some point that removing the center piece helps it cook evenly all the way through. The center mass of the doughnut would come out too doughy or the outside would get burnt. Or it's easier to get out of the boiling oil by grabbing it with a hook through the center. I could be wrong, though.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
It's probably something to do with the creation process. Ever seen vendors making them to sell you? Where the batter drops straight out of the machine into a tray of oil, which is then scooped out by a mini conveyor belt?

They always come out with holes in the middle too.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Maybe it's to make it easier to hold on to? Maybe it's to save our arteries just that tiny little bit? Who knows. I've personally never had one of these little doughnut hole things that others are talking about in this thread.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Asking 'why donuts have hole?' is like asking 'why are there tits on a man?'!

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
tim hortons calls them timbits, and robin's doughnuts calls them robin eggs. But basically they are called doughnut holes.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Donuts have the holes so they cook evenly. They end up under cooked if you don't have the hole. Trust me, I know. They don't come out good.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
THEN EXPLAIN FILLED DOUGHNUTS!

Explain them!