• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do dogs jump off this bridge?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The sign is there not because the neo-Gothic construction is in danger of crumbling into the waters of Overtoun Burn 50ft below but for another reason: in the past 60 years an estimated 600 dogs have jumped from the bridge, more than 50 of them to their deaths.
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/586793/600-dogs-hurl-themselves-off-bridge

I have my own theory as to why they do this and it has nothing to do with ghosts. I think they do it for the same reason my dog jumped out of the back of a moving truck, to chase a rabbit.

Why do you think they do this? Ever had your dog make a dangerous jump?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I've seen this story on TV. The animals can't see over the wall of the bridge, but can smell mink on the other side. This theory is consistent with the clear, dry weather on the days in question. The poor animals think they are just hopping a fence to chase a rodent. It's a death trap.

I do believe in the paranormal, but it's not my go-to explanation for mysterious events. The area might well be haunted, given it's apparent history, but I don't believe this to be related to the behavior of the dogs on the bridge because there is a much more rational explanation available.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I also believe in the paranormal after seeing a ghost but like you its not the answer to everything.