• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do Adults have more say than younger people?

Seipienti

Why do we still have adults have more say than younger people? Most of the time, adults simply ignore children, on the basis that their "life experiance" makes them automatically smarter and better in every way, even though our world has made such advantages that their "life experiance" is completely irrelevent.
Discussion?

Impact

V.I.P.
It depends how young you're talking here. Most children, and teenagers, change their minds every 5 minutes depending on their current influences. Adults are more likely to stick to their opinions whether others agree or not, because social influences aren't as strong.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Being an adult is merely an physical state of our life-cycle. In our minds and personality nothing really changes. We get 18, we are pressured to settle down by the ones surrounding us, along with other major decisions that puts us in the herd and their routine.

A 14 year old kid can be more wise, mature and experienced than a 40 year old man, depending on what kid of exposition they both had, just like adults nowadays are not very different from teens in what they like to do, ambitions and behavior.

To answer your question, adults do have a responsibility towards younger people, to teach and to guide them, and that wouldn't be possible if both generations had the same influence and power of decision.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's definitely happened on the forums.

Problem is, usually, adults will have more to say simply because they have more experience (usually). On a more basic level, you have to define the terms adult and child and any inbetweens. Personally I think they're terms you can only define legally, I think you really have to make a judgment when determining what one of those terms applies to a person. Some adults never grow up, some teens are more mature than their parents, etc. Also, what do you mean "more say"? Is this a political discussion? A family discussion? What realm are you arguing younger people should have more say?

For the most part, I agree but I think terms need to be solidly defined.

On a general conversation though, I think "life experience" is a bit of a lame reason for people to feel either superior or smarter since we all have different experiences and we're all built by them.

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
I'm not sure that statement is necessarily true. I would think it would depend on the people (children & adults) involved, the ages of the children, the specific situation that they're in, etc.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
PS: And please, I am looking for a logical discussion, not simply saying "your stuck up" and such.
Well, for starters. People tend to take you more seriously if you use correct grammar.

Secondly, adults DO have more experience. Why shouldn't that be worth something? If you needed to hire a pilot, would you hire one with more experience or less, assuming both expected similar pay?

Same goes for anything in life. Experience is worth more than lack of experience. Kids think they know how things should go, but in reality they tend to miss the bigger picture. That's my two cents. Granted, I'm not as old as some of the members here. I could be wrong. ;)

Seipienti

Yeah, sorry about that, I noticed that after I posted it.

--------------
If you needed to hire a pilot, would you hire one with more experience or less, assuming both expected similar pay?
Well, if one pilot is known to not be a very good, but has more experience, I think I would hire the better one, even if he has less experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Secondly, adults DO have more experience. Why shouldn't that be worth something? If you needed to hire a pilot, would you hire one with more experience or less, assuming both expected similar pay?
Flying a plane is a lot more specific than general "experience". There's only one way to fly a specific plane, there's not one specific way to live your life. You know?

Same goes for anything in life. Experience is worth more than lack of experience. Kids think they know how things should go, but in reality they tend to miss the bigger picture. That's my two cents. Granted, I'm not as old as some of the members here. I could be wrong. ;)
Depends on the experience though, does it not?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Why do we still have adults have more say than younger people? Most of the time, adults simply ignore children, on the basis that their "life experiance"
Why is this strange to you?

Usually it is expected for adults to know more about everything.
Maturity though is another issue. A 23 year old can be less mature than a 17 year old even if the first has more experience than the latter.

Last edited: