Why Can't We Be English? (For The UKers)

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend
Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
So may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane
But don't say you're English ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
In Brussels it's scrapped, in Parliament too
Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
The pupils don't learn about them anymore
How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?
When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
Europe is miles away over the sea
We're the English from England, let's all be proud
Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud !

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue
Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
Let the world know - WE WANT OUR ENGLAND BACK !!!!

My dad just sent me this as a forward and it got me thinking, why has it become such a taboo to call ourselves English? Just as many people migrate to the US but they still call themselves Americans.

Why do we have to tip-toe around everyone else in our own Country? Who are we going to offend? Actually...i know who we're going to offend, but we don't call it a taboo when they claim to be whatever they are; we give people the freedom to say out loud who/what race they are, why can't we do the same on our own damn soil?

R1zla

Registered Member
I couldn't agree more. It something else when you can't even fly the english flag. Our american friends are proud to fly their flag outside their homes, why can't it be like that for us? I remember during the football, public transport vehicles where banned from putting an english flag on their cars/bus etc, for fear of offending the non-english that live in our country. What about offending us by telling us we cannot do it.

R1zla

Registered Member
I totally get where you are comeing from. It seems we cannot fly the english flag for fear of upsetting the non-english that live in 'our' country. I'm proud to be english, and it upsets me that we;re told we cannot fly the flag. i remember during the football, public transport vehicle drivers where told they could not display our flag, yet we have to respect those around us that are from another country/religion. The world has gone mad. Our american friends are proud to fly their flag outside their homes (much respect) but we're told we can/t. whats that all about?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
That's one of the reasons i fucking LOVE that movie.
It holds a lot of truth tho. It's the same as here in America. Our Constitution is shit on because we as the people allow it.

"Hey as long as it doesn't effect me it's ok"

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The problem is that the UK's government (which, yes, is primarily English) has decided that it's OK to pussy-foot around everyone else in case they abuse their 'Human Rights'. While there's nothing wrong with Human Rights, the problem lies in the fact that the UK has decided to put everyone else's Rights before it's own.

What it needs now is to take a firmer stance, and to hell with everyone else.

They say that 'everyone' should be treated equal, but they aren't treating everyone the same - they're treating everyone as superior to the British themselves. They've gone from owning most of the world to grovelling at the feet of strangers, too scared to say a damn thing in case someone gets offended, God forbid. :rolleyes:

As a pioneer of equality, the situation infuriates me. :urp:

Psyco

Food Whore
The problem is that the UK's government (which, yes, is primarily English) has decided that it's OK to pussy-foot around everyone else in case they abuse their 'Human Rights'. While there's nothing wrong with Human Rights, the problem lies in the fact that the UK has decided to put everyone else's Rights before it's own.

What it needs now is to take a firmer stance, and to hell with everyone else.

They say that 'everyone' should be treated equal, but they aren't treating everyone the same - they're treating everyone as superior to the British themselves. They've gone from owning most of the world to grovelling at the feet of strangers, too scared to say a damn thing in case someone gets offended, God forbid.
The problem what that system of favoring others is the INSTANT that you start favoring your own race again, people scream either "its Racism!", (or race-based favoritism or any of the like) Excuse my rant, but these days people are way to fucking lazy to go out and "get their own". They are much happier to have it provided for them. And the instant someone starts to decrease what is provided, they scream bloody murder.

Personally, I'd like to institute the system of "If you don't like it, too fucking bad." People get away with WAY too much these days.

I'll use one of my favorite examples. Take Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. He's been around since the show started, and he's ALWAYS been munching cookies. Because people are too damn lazy to watch what their kids eat, and don't want to take the blame themselves, they blamed Cookies Monster for childhood obesity. Now he eats vegetables. (Which isn't a bad thing, but thats not the point...) People need to learn to act their own damn age, and take fucking responsibility. If they want to have kids, fine, let them. But, make DAMN sure they take care of them right, and that they are the ones responsible for behavior, eating and such.

Bananas

Endangered Species
We are not Europeans, how can we be?
Europe is miles away over the sea
How are the people of England not European? What continent do they belong too?

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue
Blue would be the colour of Scotland not England!

^^^I only highlight the above as this is why England has an identity crisis, it does not know what it is anymore, I question did it ever?

Take the word "British" as an example, it is a fairly recent word conjured up by the English to make the others feel welcome, of course it derives from the word Briton, which derives from Brythonic who is of course is the name given to the indigenous population by the Romans long before the existence of England or the English even got here. When the word British and the word English became synonymous the others resumed their original identities, leaving the English going we have nothing to resume too. The UK is devolving and sooner or later it will be just the home countries with their individual status, if England wants to be just England then it too must devolve.

Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
Again it is because they have become synonomous, you dont know which you belong too.

Can I ask, why not fly the flag of Europe? One of those Stars represents the UK, why the need to segregate yourselves in opposition to it?

Finally can we have some evidence and links of the above, like the word "English" being taboo in the Beeb or the banning of "flags" on public transport?

.....and I challenge you to make those links not belong to tabloid journalists!;)