Why are we so fascinated with celebrities?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
A few recent news items led me to post this. One, there was a snippet on the news this morning about hospital employees looking at the medical records of celebrities when they did not have authorization to do so.

The other one is the $14 million that People Magazine paid for pictures of Brad & Angelina's twins.

Why as a society are we so fascinated by celebrity culture that we will break rules to get information that means nothing to us? That a gossip magazine shells out an obscene amount of money for pictures of babies who are complete strangers to most people? Not to mention shows like TMZ that exist solely to talk about celebrities and Hollywood culture.

Even if you as an individual are not obsessed with celebrity culture, what are your thoughts on this collective fascination in American society?

Personally, I don't get it. I'm not fascinated by them in the least. I don't read gossip magazines and I'm usually the last one to know that something major happened in a celebrities life.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Flipping through channels the other day, we watched about 2 minutes of Extra! and I thought the same thing. I personally don't care about the individual lives of celebrities one bit. I'm not going to pay extra to hear their stories, or watch about their lives, or buy their merchandise. What they do doesn't affect me one bit.

On that note, the only reason I can think is people aren't really happy with their lives and try to live vicariously through celebrities, "oh look how fabulous their lives are, they must be so happy and they are so awesome and lucky, if only I had millions of dollars and houses and cars and fame." Aside from that, I have no clue.

Not everyone is fascinated. It's sort of like how some people are very interested in sports so some popular athletes get paid millions of dollars to swing a bat or throw a ball around. All they need is a decent chunk of the population to stay interested and it'll become very profitable.

But it's also because sometimes celebrities actually do interesting things and some celebrities have talent which makes people become more interested in them.

But guys...they are celebrities! They have a special talent that no one else has!

Hey EX, what would that be?

They fuckin...uhhh...you know...!

You are a moron.

Yeah, I hate them too.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
It's all about idolizasion (sp?) I believe.
People seek the need for an idol, something to worship. So for example if it's not God (as an extreme example) they will turn to "the-next-best-thing"(?) the celebrities.
So many teenagers worship their celebrities to an extreme and I think what I stated above could be a good reason for it.

It's all about idolizasion (sp?) I believe.
People seek the need for an idol, something to worship. So for example if it's not God (as an extreme example) they will turn to "the-next-best-thing"(?) the celebrities.
So many teenagers worship their celebrities to an extreme and I think what I stated above could be a good reason for it.
But. But. People worship god for his amazing ability to...you know...do ANYTHING AT ALL.

Celebrities are not special in any way. As a matter of fact, most are...subtalk martial. If you know what I mean.
------
Maybe people like them because they are so dumb they are entertaining?

Last edited:

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
But. But. People worship god for his amazing ability to...you know...do ANYTHING AT ALL.
Yet so many people over look His talents.

Celebrities are people, like you and me, yet they are famous and though most have no talent whatsoever, but they have the spotlight and therefore they must have something that we don't (and want?) and for many that's ground enough to worship them.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Boring life so one vicariously lives through celebrities? And when it becomes too perfect, you buy tabloids and enjoy their flaws and it gives you a sense that they're no different from who you are. :)

Elf1

Registered Member
I think there are 2 main reasons why people are fascinated with celebs.

1. The Disney Syndrome. Wanting to be a princess, feel special, live a life of the celebrity. Going to generalize here and say, as a whole, women are much more likely to fall into celebrity worship than any other. Men? Not so much. They don't care so much about the celebrity and their life as they do about "she is hot and I would bang her." Girls seem to want to know every intricate detail about the life of the celeb.

2. Those who follow celebs not because they wish they were, but to actually feel better about their own life when a celeb suffers harm. Always fun to see Tom Cruise meltdown over his cult....my life isn't so bad.