• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why are rescue pets so expensive

MissMe

Registered Member
We are looking to add a dog to our family and checked into some of the local rescues. I was a little shocked when I found out that some of the adoption prices are $400 to $600 for a rescue. I thought it would be cheaper to rescue a dog but found out that it wasn't the case. Why are rescue dogs so expensive? I understand that there are costs involved like vets, shots and food, but I would have thought that some of these services and things are donated.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That is expensive. Like you I realize there are costs involved but if they want people to adopt these animals why so expensive.

Impaired

Registered Member
My guess is that it weeds out the non-serious. Also, rescuing animals takes time and money.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
I have to agree with Impaired. Not only does it weed out "impulse buys" but most of these organizations run on donations and spend a lot of resources on these animals from vet checks, spay or neutering, temperament assessments, grooming and food. An organization can quickly spend thousands of dollars on one rescue, depending on the circumstances and health of the pet when it was surrendered.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
MissMe, see if they have sponsored pets at certain times of the year where a business or Good Samaritan covers the fee instead of you. I understand the price since donations in my area are few and far between and the vets don't give a discount to rescue groups around here. A lot of times the volunteers dip into their own pockets to pay for necessary care. You could always try negotiating the fee. You could also offer to bring in towels, detergent, and other supplies you already have on hand if the'll lower the cost. Offering to help with fundraising is another option.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Part of the reason it might be that expensive to weed out low income people that might not can afford a pet.

I paid a hundred for my Rott but I soon spent about three hundred on her taking her to the vet for shots and her upset tummy. Not to mention she liked to go shopping with me at flea markets and yard sales. She always found something she wanted.