Who's your hero from history?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Blaze, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Blaze

Blaze Registered Member

I have a few:

In first place, it's the great Sir Winston Churchill. Rejoice, rejoice, most people my age don't even know who Churchill is, but to me he was a great man and a brilliant role model. He had every trait I admire; courage, wit, intelligence, recklessness, plus one of the most important, he didn't care what others thought of him. Not to mention his many talents - writing, painting and bricklaying among them.

Nancy Wake is another; for those of you who don't know, she was a member of the SOE during WWII, nicknamed 'The White Mouse' due to her elusiveness; the SS were constantly trying to capture her. Her husband was tortured to death by the Nazis for refusing to reveal her whereabouts, and towards the end she stormed Gestapo headquarters, killing a man along the way.

Jose Rizal - he is the national hero of the Philippines who spoke out against the tyrannical Spanish rule. He wrote several books, notably 'Noli Me Tangere' which talks about the horrors of the Spanish dictators and he was executed in 1896.

It's people such as them that make me proud of my mixed heritage :nod:

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I liked El Filibusterismo too.

Joan of Arc - for her courage and leadership. Sure, people thought she was a loon and then a witch (or both), but she has won battles, inspired a lot of lives, and her reputation was eventually redeemed in the end (albeit posthumously).

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Sir John A McDonald

The first Prime Minister of Canada. He had a great vision and great ideas. He helped found the country. If politicians today acted like McDonald did in history, we'd have a government that was a ton more passionate about it's own country. Instead of this half assed malarky, when each party's only interest is being the one in power for the sake of a bigger pay cheque.

4. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

And he did it poundin' the sauce every chance he got. :lol:

This is a good question. I'll have to think about it some more, before I come up with an answer.

5. Mike-911

Mike-911 New Member

And what about PQ-17? As for me Churchill wasn't good guy.
    My hero are:
    Fredrick 2(the great) who won 7 years war against Russia, Saxonia(maybe I wrote the name of this state wrong, I didn't read about this war in English), France, Austria, Sweden(-//-). He was genius war leader, who had rare talent to get up after every defeat. Napoleon didn't have such talent. Also Fredrick always knew when it's time to stop.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

George Washington.

Led an army of mostly farmers against the most powerful empire at the time, had to deal with having to raise a new army every year when their enlistments would expire, as opposed to a professional army. And after the win, declined monarchy.

Pancho Villa

My grandfather fought with Pancho Villa against a tyrannical Mexican government.

John Marshall

The third Chief Justice of the Supreme Court but the one that had the biggest impact. Many of his decisions, most notably Marbury v. Madison, established a strong role for the Supreme Court and in essence, saved the nation from collapsing.

PretzelCorps likes this.
  7. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Commander George L. Street III of the United States Navy (1913-2000). He was a U.S. Naval sub commander in World War II of the U.S.S. Tirante. He led his sub against numerous engagements of enemy Japanese ships.

He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945.

He was my next door neighbor since I was a kid and he died when I was 13. I never had the chance to ask him anything about what he did and it disappoints me that I never will. I always saw him sitting outside in front of his house and I was too shy and anti-social to talk to him. There's a bridge in my hometown that's named after him. I want to take a trip to Virgina someday to visit where he's buried.

"The jackpot and no mistake"

PretzelCorps likes this.
  8. Auron

Auron New Member

Caratacus is the man. In around 40AD, he held of the Roman Army with a small number of men in South Wales, UK for a decade. He invented lighting strikes in this part of the world, constantly harassing his enemy with hit and run tactics. He could have become a 'client king' like many others, but continued the fight for freedom and independence against overwhelming odds.

9. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

The Russian army. I most likely wouldn't be alive without them.

10. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

George Mason.

Simple reason really. He was the master mind behind the Second Amendment. I've read many of his writings in the Federalist papers. He is seconded by Thomas Jefferson another influential founder that I have great respect for.