Whos the best shortstop in New York Baseball history?

Silhouet

Registered Member
Next weeks debate in the Lineup is about shortstops. So its time to get our picks in for the game. MSG.com - The Line-Up

Here are my picks for top 5:
Derek Jeter
Pee Wee Reese
Travis Jackson
Monte Ward
Phil Rizzuto

What do you guys think ???

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There’s a few good players on that list, Reese didn’t have incredible stats but he had an impact on Jackie Robinson that you don’t see on the stat sheet. But I have to go with Derek Jeter, a lot of fans believe he’s been overrated through out his career, but he got the job done offensively and defensively. He’s a great leader and he’s a proven winner. He has a chance to reach close to 3300-3500 hits when his career his all set and done.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
To me, it's not really close, although there are some great shortstops on that list. Although I have hated the Yankees my entire life, Derek Jeter has always resembled to me what a ballplayer should be. He plays the game right and has always been clutch when the Yankees have needed him. You also can't look past all of the World Series rings he has accumlated as the leader of the Yanks. Reese had a great career as well but I have to go with Jeter.

Wade8813

Registered Member
A-Rod should be the #1, but they're morons and stuck him at 3B.

I'd probably pick Jeter, but it's not like he has stiff competition.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
So you would move Jeter out of shortstop? Where would you make him play?

What are your reasons for your decision?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'd rather move Jeter than A-Rod. A-Rod was a decent fielding SS. Jeter is arguably one of the worst fielding shortstops (out of the starting SS). And SS is too important of a position.