• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Who's playing the Halo 3 Beta?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anyone here got their hands on the Halo 3 Beta?

I've heard it's just multiplayer but from what I've heard it's a lot better than Halo 2 and it feels a lot like Halo 1 again.

If this is true it might just be time for me to pick up a 360. :)

Patriot

Yea, I just bought one but the beta ends in a week or so, and I don't have Xbox Live or Crackdown so I can't play it. (for now)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't get a chance to play the beta and now it's over. Oh well. I did hear that it was pretty awesome.

Here's some awesome footage of it:

YouTube - New Halo 3 Multiplayer Footage "Is Quisnam Protero Damno!"

(The guy shown at 4:13 into it looks like Napoleon Dynamite.. lol!)

And yes! The assault rifle is back! :D They gave it a smaller clip to be fair against other weapons, but that's ok because I love it. I can't wait to try it out. :)

There are also "bubble shields" which look AWESOME! Just watch the video. It really looks awesome. You can even go back and watch instant replays of the full round after each multiplayer match!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I didn't get to play the Beta either, but I've watched a lot of videos. Obviously it's not the finished product and there were only a few maps available, but I am worried about a few things.

1. Why is the assault rifle the default starting weapon? Yes, it's an improvement over the SMG in H2, but it's still worthless in any situation other than short-range combat. Of course you'll have the option to change this in custom games, but matchmaking is going to suck again.

2. All the maps I've seen look enormous. The best maps in the first two Halos were the smaller arena-type maps, not these huge outdoor environments they seem to like so much now. Hopefully there will be a good selection of small maps.

3. The announcer sounds like crap.

4. The camouflage is worthless. Waaaaay too easy to see the person. It should be more like it was in the first Halo.

Hopefully they'll get some of these things fixed for the final version.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope there is an option to disable the announcer entirely.

As for camo, if you don't move at all it becomes more adapted to your surroundings and you blend in more from what I've heard so far.

And map-wise I hated the Halo 2 maps. I still think that some of the best Halo maps were in the original Halo PC. I loved those maps. I wish they would bring some of those into Halo 3. Big maps and arcade style FPS games just don't work.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Haha I guess the BETA is too hard for him. :)

That video TOTALLY reminds me of my old boss. We had 4 on 4 Halo in our breakroom and he always got super mad if anything even questionably cheap happened to him.

Good times! :D

(He didn't sound like Microsoft Sam though.. )

EOD_Assassin

I played the Beta and it seems pretty good. There are only 3 different maps you can play on it so it gets boring playing the same game over and over but overall i say it is pretty good. The new weapons are really cool.