Who's not getting Modern Warfare 2?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

You may be looking at the title and thinking, "Who in their right mind won't buy it?"

Well, me for one. Not because of game quality, or anything like that. It's because of a possible Activision plan to jack up the price in the UK to "test consumers".

Recently, Activision announced that they were going to charge £54.99 (roughly $90) for the standard edition of Modern Combat 2, claiming that high development costs and a weak British currency were responsible. This pushed me away from buying on the initial release. However, industry analyst Michael Pachter (so take it with a grain of salt) says that the price increase is likely to see how far they can push consumers.

Now, if this is true, then I'm going to be buying the damn thing used. I can hear you saying, "They're free to do as they please". Sure. But I'd think they'd have a little more sense when the damn CEO states at roughly the same time that unless Sony reduces the price of the PS3, they will have to stop designing games for it.

Rising costs of development? How about this, instead of increasing the price of a game, why not try to lower the cost of development? That way, the companies aren't spending too much and the consumers still get a game at a reasonable price.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

2. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Activision is the new EA, greedy and obsessed with power, they know MW2 will sell like cup cakes and they will try and squeeze every little penny from the costumer.

As for the ps3 >Activision >price drop issue, ironicly the ps3 was activisions the 3rd biggest revenue this 3rdQ, surpassing the Wii and Dsi.

Doubt they will cut its support anytime soon.
    ------
    Ok so it appears that Activision's CEO its telling the potential costumers to fuck off:

"Activision's Kotick: I'd Raise Game Prices Even More"

Activision's Kotick: I'd Raise Game Prices Even More - News

That does it for me, ill get a copy of MW2 on Mininova and spend my money on Ubisoft, Temco and Naughty daugh this holidays.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. Nevyrmoore

Once again, they're a company and they're free to do what they want. But push too much, and (hopefully) the user base gets pissed. What happens then? They stop buying their product.

However, I'm starting to believe the majority of games consumers don't actually care about the price and will get the product no matter what.

4. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I still haven't played MW 1, because it hadn't even dropped from $70 here last time I checked.

Even used, it's still ridiculously expensive.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I'm content to browse the used-game racks for all but a rare few titles. If the price of games goes up to $90, then the game-industry will lose me as a customer altogether, as I'll be picking up only used games from then on.

6. Nevyrmoore

In a way, this is why I like PC games. They're generally priced lower than console games, and go down in price pretty early. Though, there really is no used PC game market in stores...

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Piracy and a smaller market helps keep the price of PC games down, fortunately.

8. ChromaticMike

ChromaticMike Registered Member

The only reason I'm going to get it is 'cause all my mates are getting it, I'd rather not be the odd one out.

9. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi New Member

Opposite for me. I don't know anyone who's getting it, so I'm not going to bother.

10. Mason

Mason phawq

I'm not buying it, but thats because with my experience from the Cod series, the Single player gets boring fast, and the multiplayer is VERY camper friendly (Which makes it less fun to play). I doubt MW2 will be any different.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009