Whoa, I am totally freaked out about this!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hughes_collector, Oct 1, 2009.

1. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

My mother had a friend, sort of, that she hadn't heard from in many years. I sort of knew the guy, but I'd only met him once, when I was a teen. They had exchanged letters on several occasions, mostly pertaining to his business, but they kind of struck up a friendship (NOT a romance!) over the years as well.

So the other day, just for kicks and giggles, I did a search on him, and I am STUNNED at what I found.

Apparently he has had a number of mental health issues recently and actually snapped and tried to kill a friend of his who was helping him out in tough times. There was no known motive for the attack; no arguments or fighting or anything. He simply started stabbing this other man when the victim turned his back. :shocked:

The victim recovered (thankfully!), but Mom's friend is now in prison for attempted murder.

I find this deeply disturbing because this guy had no previous hint of violence. He was simply not the type. He had once been a successful businessman, had launched some of his own businesses, was mild-mannered, etc.

Everyone who knew him said the same thing. But they all contributed his bizarre behavior to the mental illnesses that he has recently suffered from.

What I find so unsettling, I guess, is that if something like this can happen to him, it potentially can happen to anyone!

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all this...wow. :sigh:

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is a lie, there is no such thing as a "type". Plenty of people who have committed heinous or disturbing crimes have come from either perfectly normal or heavily psychotic environments. The first step to preventing this sort of criminality is to understand we cannot categorize it. Just because someone stabs someone, doesn't even mean there was necessarily a sign.

3. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

That's true of course. I guess I'm just still in a state of shock. I just never would've guessed that he, of all people, would do anything like that.

Another fine example of "you never know".

4. justwondering

justwondering Registered Member

how did u fing that out...its very sad but when someone is mentaly ill they do alot of things no one would ever think they would do....its very sad

5. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

The part I bolded is a perfect example of the sad state facing mental health issues in the U.S. due to stigma, etc. If a person that suffers from a severe mental illness attacked for that reason, they deserve treatment instead of punititive action. Especially when this is his first time commiting such an act. :shake:
    ------
    Plus I'd like to add that statistically a severely mentally ill individual is MUCH MUCH more likely to harm themselves than others.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

I think the OP is just saying that the guy didn't SEEM the type.

That really is scary! I have no idea what I'd do. I makes you question your judgement, I would think. Thank goodness nothing ever happened to your mom.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

We used to have a piece of paper slapped up on the fridge that said, "NEVER SAY NEVER" and everytime something happened or someone did something out of character we always made sure we remember that simple cliche`. It would sometimes be a comfort other times it wasn't, basically saying, "shit happens".

It happens. I've known quite a few people who you would think are "stable", for lack of a better word, and then just do something completely out of character. hurting alot of people in the process.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

And the point that has been stated three times now is that there is no "type". Killers, rapists, and psychos come from all walks of life, there is no one "type". Like Unity correctly stated, it's one of the problems that prevents mental health issues from advancing in society, because we're all stuck on this idiotic idea that there is some sort of type or personality that will tell us if someone is going to go nuts.

9. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

keeep your mother close to you and open your eyes and be aware
    take good care look at your family, and try to speak with your mother about whats on your heart and see what she have to say!
    -take care

10. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

I was just trying to steer the attention away from that. I don't think this thread was created to nit-pick what the OP said (who can correct me if I'm wrong). I mean, this isn't in the Mature Discussion section.

I was just surprised to see all the "text-book" replies. I thought more people would be concerned with the OP being "freaked out". That's what most of my post focused on.