• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Who was the biggest disappointment for the Blue Jays?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
If you had to pinpoint one specific player that didn't live up to all the expectations in Toronto this season, who would it be? And why?

SoberJaysFan

Josh Johnson. I was expecting huge things from him this year. Same with Morrow. I thought the two of them would be 1-A and 1-B. Boy was I wrong.
I wouldn't call JP a disappointment because I expected him to suck. Same with Ricky.
But Johnson and Morrow, man. The reason for this shitty season can be explained in 3 words: Johnson and Morrow.

RSquared

RA Dickey.

When you give up 2 blue chippers in Syndergaard and d'Arnaud you expect big things. You expect CY Young like numbers. Dickey this year looked like an average pitcher.

The worst is yet to come though. Because i have a feeling that Syndergaard is going to be a top of the rotation type of pitcher for the Mets. And d'Arnaud if he stays healthy has all the talent to become an all-star caliber C.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
RSquared said:
The worst is yet to come though. Because i have a feeling that Syndergaard is going to be a top of the rotation type of pitcher for the Mets. And d'Arnaud if he stays healthy has all the talent to become an all-star caliber C.
With Wheeler and Harvey there, he will probably be third starter. But, I agree, his stuff is good enough to be a top of the rotation type of pitcher.

I agree with RSquared. RA Dickey was a huge disappointment, but personally I'm not the least surprised. I excepted a .500 season from him, with a high ERA. I've said it for years, you never know what to expect with a knuckleball pitcher, and it's not different with Dickey even if he's coming off a Cy Young type of season. Trading that much, was a risky move that did not pay off, and he shouldn't have made the trade in the first place. I don't care if the Blue Jays were only "one piece" away.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I agree with bizzy and R-squared when mentioning RA Dickey as the blue jays biggest disappointing player this season. I didn't expect the Cy young player, but I did expect reasonable numbers from him. Injuries slowed him down at the beginning of the season, but now that he's a 100% he's not pitching any better. What's most frustrating about all of this(excluding the guys we traded) is the fact that he's pitched some really dominant innings, but then gives up 3 runs by allowing a Homerun and the game is over. Like I said in another thread, I haven't given up on him but he'll definitely need to prove himself next year.

It's a tie between Johnson, Morrow, Romero, Arencibia and Bonifacio. Melky Cabrera is a close second I wonder who is more mobile this season Darren Oliver or Melky Cabrera.

At least R.A. Dickey has ate innings I said when that deal was made if Dickey pitched 200 + innings with a 4.50 era it would be a huge help to this team. Buerhle is exactly what I thought he would be an innings horse who gives quality starts and occasionally looks real good or real bad.

Sherlander

JJ. I predicted he would have the best season of all the starters.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Col. Aaron Awesome said:
At least R.A. Dickey has ate innings I said when that deal was made if Dickey pitched 200 + innings with a 4.50 era it would be a huge help to this team. Buerhle is exactly what I thought he would be an innings horse who gives quality starts and occasionally looks real good or real bad.
No offense attended, but when you trade so much for an "ace" you have to expect more than that and RA Dickey hasn't delivered. To me, anything over 3 ERA terrible for an ace - yes might seem harsh to some, but that's the way I see it to be honest with you.

Anything over a 3 ERA? That's a nearly impossible bar to set. By that standard non-aces this year include Cliff Lee, David Price, Justin Verlander and James Shields. Granted there are plenty of other "ace" types that are rocking sub-3 ERA's, but even the best of the best are allowed to have ERAs over 3 without it being fair to call it an "awful" season.

I'd say JJ and Melky have been the biggest disappointments. JJ's been hurt AND ineffective where Dickey has just been ineffective. Sure we expected him to be more than an innings eater but he could very well be more than that next year or the year after, and the way this year has gone with injuries it's hard to overstate the value of his innings despite the disapponting ERA.

Morrow is a close third. I was really hoping for a step forward and a healthy season from him this year. We've seen neither.

Bummer.