Who was more successful: China or USA?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Which country had the more successful Olympics?

USA won more overall medals (110 to 100), but China won a lot more golds (51 to 36).

China
14 medals in gymnastics (9 gold)
11 medals in diving (7 gold out of 8 events)
8 golds in weightlifting
5 golds in shooting
4 golds in table tennis
3 golds in badminton
2 golds in trampoline!!!!!
only 1 gold medal in swimming and 0 in track and field

United States
31 medals in swimming (12 gold)
23 medals in track and field (7 gold)
10 medals in gymnastics (2 gold)
gold in men's and women's basketball
gold in men's and women's beach volleyball
gold in men's indoor volleyball, silver in women's
silver in men's and women's water polo
gold in women's soccer
silver in softball
bronze in baseball

China won a ton of medals in sports that require judging (gymnastics, diving, and trampoline), while USA dominated the major team sports. China sucks at swimming and track and field, two of the premier sports in the Olympics.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
i had no idea there was a trampoline event in the olympics.........

why did nobody tell me!?
It has a Winter Olympics counterpart.....curling. :nod:

I think the US was more successful (unless you count the fact that China 'successfully' hosted the whole event).

US had more medals, in more events, and was better in athletics and swimming (which for me is two of the most crucial events in Summer Olympics).

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well did the dispute over some of China's gymnasts ages ever get resolved? They should have 3 less gold medals if the girls weren't old enough to be in the olympics.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Both did equally well!

Lets do some mathematics; If you give 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver and 1 for a bronze then China has 223 points and the USA has 220 points. Thats equal enough considering the number of events taken part in. China had a few more participants than the USA but then China is also still a developing country. TO many different comparisons to consider.

If I had to decide then I'd say China did better based on previous performance and development, the USA has plateaued whilst China is on a steep incline.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Both did really well in the Olympics, I never expected the Chinese to win 51 gold medals. But I have to give the edge to the United States because they did win more medals then any other countries. Even if they didn't get the most golds, I don't think that should factor. Because in my opinion what really counts is the total of medals you win. Don't get me wrong winning a gold is is great, but total is what I care most about.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Chinese wanted to win the most medals and they did not. I think that overall the United States did better because they won the more obvious sports that werent based off judging and subjectivity.

China just be proud of themselves though. They were a wonderful host and did a kick ass job, but America had more medals. We rule the world.

Gold > Silver and Bronze. Sorry, but I'm going with China on this. Even though I'm an American and love America, I know when we're beat. China did an impressive job and got the most gold.

Quality > Quantity, right?

Last edited: