Who wants a "debate specific" forum?

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by Mirage, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

There have been a good amount of debates going on here lately, which is fine of course, and usually leads to a good thread, but do you guys think it would be good to have a dedicated area for debates?

The good thing about this is that it would make it easy for people who want to avoid the debates do so, while letting those who like debates do so as well.

The bad thing about this would be that for the most part, almost any thread could lead to a debate on some level, whether it's "What flavor of ice cream is better" or "Is the death penalty good/bad," etc.

What are your thoughts?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've always thought you should combine the Science forum with the News and Politics forum and just call it Serious Discussion or Debate Forum or something. Really doesn't matter what you call it. It's not that hard to avoid debates if that's not what you're into. I just think it's better to have fewer forums.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Yeah, you've always felt that way.

I do agree with combining all of the forums you listed and moving news to the general forum, though.

4. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I think that debating in the common forums is good enough for now. Maybe you guys could add something in years to come though.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

A debating forum would be a definite go, but I probably wouldn't post in it because I am no good at debating and many times forget to read the previous posts and then accidentally change the subject either that or I don't make a very good point, it would be an interesting thing for me to read though.

6. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I think it is a great idea. I also think it would be good to combine the same topics as you all stated. I am not good at debates, but I do love to read them to see what everyone else's opinion is. It is a good idea.

7. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I don't see how a debate specific forum help right now as there doesn't seem to be that many people actually debating in the forums right now anyway.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

@Echoes, Combining science and politics isn't really a good idea mostly because not every thread in the science area is a big bang debate. Most threads are non-debate anyway.

The debate forum idea was mostly for a place to put the OBVIOUS debate threads. Not things that end up turning into debates.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'd combine them and call it "Science, Religion, and Politics" or something. I just think there's too many forums. You could combine TV, Music, and Movies and have a forum for Entertainment. A lot of the other forums are worthless and could become part of General Discussion (Money, Technology, Web, Food, Autos, Healt and Fitness, Shopping). This place just isn't busy enough for everything to be as spread out as it is. Plus I think it looks better and more organized when there are fewer forums on the main page.