Who Quoted Me in MyGF

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've seen this before on other forums. A link in your user cp, that brings you to a page that shows a list from most recent to less recent, of where and who quoted you. It's very handy. For example, if I post in a discussion thread, it's annoying to check back and read each post after yours to see if someone replied to you. Especially if you have limited time to view the forum and reply. So you click the who quoted you button, see if anyone quoted you, and then do your replies.

I suppose you could do something along the lines of 'who mentioned me' as well. But who knows. just a suggestion.

This has been brought up before and I think there was some flaw with the concept that made it difficult to impliment.

...but I still support the idea 124%.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah, I just remembered and reread the thread.

As far as that goes Hybrix, instead of querying ALL the threads each time to generate the list. Why not, everytime someone quotes someone, it just adds to a database for that specifically quoted user?

So for example

Bob quotes Sue, and something along the lines of "Bob quoted your post" + PostTextAsALink etc...

and then when Sue clicks the link in her UserCP She'll see

Bob Quoted your post "I like dogs....."
Joe Quoted your post "I like dogs....."

etc...

And clicking on each specific list item, should take you to the post where you were quoted.

And of course, doing it this way would mean that we wouldn't see who quoted us in all the past posts and stuff, instead it would start keeping track from when you implement it.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I've searched around various forums and only seen this one. I must admit I really like it, so I support it as well.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I could be wrong but if this were something that could be implemented... I wouldnt be surprised if that same thing could be turned into another stat.

"Most Quoted Member"

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The main problem with this is that while it could be done it would be fairly intensive on the database. At this stage, and with GF growing and already running slightly slower on our new server it doesn't make sense to add things that will make it even slower.

As interesting as this would be I am still pretty sure that the system really wouldn't be very accurate in the first place.

There was an older system like this that people were using but nothing works with the forum version we have now. It would have to be completely custom coded and the quote system has been entirely revamped since 2005 (which is when this worked). Some sites just don't upgrade so that's probably why they are still able to use this.

I mean, there are times when multiple quotes occur, when copy and paste quotes occur, when somebody quotes and changes their mind, etc. It would be a major pain to code to be honest and even then there's no way to be sure if it would even work properly. My guess is that the reason you don't se this anymore is because forums as a whole have advanced and the code required for such a system to work would be full of so many loop holes and if/else statements that it would slow things down overall even if it only worked half the time.

Trust me it would be a pain to code.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
=D That's okay then. The other site that I've seen it on has a super fast server, and a couple seperate databases I found out. It's a completely custom code as well for whatever the lastest version of vbulletin. I wonder if theres some other sort of way (besides rereading all subscribed threads) to see if someone has replied to something you said in a conversation. Maybe an option when replying, to alert the person you're talking to? And the other person will get an alert or something "So and so has said something he thinks you might be interested in"

=D That's okay then. The other site that I've seen it on has a super fast server, and a couple seperate databases I found out. It's a completely custom code as well for whatever the lastest version of vbulletin. I wonder if theres some other sort of way (besides rereading all subscribed threads) to see if someone has replied to something you said in a conversation. Maybe an option when replying, to alert the person you're talking to? And the other person will get an alert or something "So and so has said something he thinks you might be interested in"
Maybe we could have the quote button send a message similar to rep. I mean, I know nothing about coding and stuff, but would using part of an existing system (rep) be possible or make it easier?

I guess its all semantics because of the server issue anyways.

Maybe we could remove rep and replace it with this. ;)