• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Who goes down as the better player: Pujols or Cabrera???

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Who goes down as the better player, Miggy or Pujols?? I never would have thought this question was possible until Miggy won the triple crown last year but Miggy has plenty of peak years left and Pujols is on the downside (and will never be in contention for a batting title again)

BobbyNotMerged

Such a tough question... Both have almost always hit at least 30 homers a season...multiple awards. This one's too hard to answer until the careers are done lol

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Cabrera definitely made it close with the triple crown last year; like the OP, it definitely put him in the discussion.

So, too, does the fact that he's played a decent 3rd base. Pujols has played some left but mostly first, and so Cabrera will get more kudos for having played a more difficult position. (Though granted Pujols was excellent at 1st)

Still, there's that start Pujols had; it was incredible. If Cabrera ages gracefully, with a late 30s/early 40s like Yaz *and* Pujols is really old in his late 30s as injuries pile up like they did for Mantle, yes, Cabrera will be remembered as the better player. It's be hard to top that great start Pujols had otherwise, though.

I guess I look at it more that way than just WAR and all; but as one poster said, it's still true that first, Cabrera has to catch Pujols.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Albert and its not as close as people think. Miggy is the better player these days but looking back in their careers 15 years from now, Pujols will have had the better career. He's put up bigger power numbers at Cabrera's age and also is (was) much more patient at the plate than Miggy and put up better OBP numbers. Don't get me wrong, they are both great players who will be in the HOF but Pujols definitely gets the edge.

MDougy7

Just depends if miggy can stay away from the injury bug unlike pujols later in his career. If miggy can do that he will surpass pujols numbers.

As for the aurora of pujols and miggy. Pujols will always be the guy my generation talks about as the best baseball of the 2000s and this time frame. Miggy won't be close to pujols in that regards.