• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Who else would buy Wikia stock?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure everybody has heard of Wikia Media:

Wikimedia Foundation Inc. - Google Finance

The guys behind Wikipedia? ;)

The owner has just announced plans to develop a user focused search engine, that will rank results based on user defined relevancy. No more fancy algorithms. Users know what they want. No more ad/spam pages as the #1 search result you get. I REALLY want to see Wikia declare an IPO. I think a TON of people would want in.

If they pull this off they will have a jump on Google themselves...

mamab

Registered Member
If they could pull it off, it could change the internet, that's for sure. It would also seem to be a good time to buy, if you had the extra money.

katharina

Registered Member
If they pull this off they will have a jump on Google themselves...
I guess they would, yes. I'll tell you why I haven't gotten excited about wikipedia, though, and you can maybe tell me if my concerns are unfounded. From what I understand (I *have* seen some entries) the users fill in the information, right? I can't figure out what checks are in place to stop little twerps from adding totally incorrect information. Surely they can't check everything? Or *do* they have checkers for every bit of information?

taiarain

Registered Member
The user generated input is a problem with Wikipedia. IIRC, it's community policed so you have to rely on the average internet user to be intelligent, discriminating and agenda-free enough to police it.

katharina

Registered Member
The user generated input is a problem with Wikipedia. IIRC, it's community policed so you have to rely on the average internet user to be intelligent, discriminating and agenda-free enough to police it.
Yes... that's why I don't use it for research. There would be no way to know if someone came along and fixed wrong info yet or not. Then again, I guess that goes for any content that's found on the net.

taiarain

Registered Member
Universities won't accept it as a resource for research papers either. It's a great site when you want to look something up quickly and for free, but you should definitely confirm anything you find.

Grace

I have never heard of them before. When doing research myself I always use Google or books or other internet sources. If universities won't accept them as a resource then they are limited somewhat.

Taggart

Registered Member
I definitely share Katharina's concerns, and that's why I don't use the site and I wouldn't be interested in investing in the company, personally.

But if they achieve what's described in the first post of this thread, wouldn't that redefine Search Engine Optimization?