Who deserves the Cy Young in the AL

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the race is between Roy Halladay of the Toronto Blue Jays and Cliff Lee of the Cleveland Indians.

I know they have about four starts left, and anything can happen in those games, but in your opinion who deserves the award?

I'll give my opinion after a few responces.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Halladay? Daisuke is almost just as good and better in several categories. He's only played 5 more games than Matsuzaka and he's given up 80 more hits! Hitters are batting .210 off of Dice-K and .236 off Halladay.

However, I think Cliff Lee is the winner unless he has a serious turnaround.

3. Babe_Ruth

Halladay will get more votes then Dice K no doubt about that. He has the second lowest ERA in the American League, he leads the league in Innings Pitch, Complete Games, he's second in strike outs.

You also have to remember that if Halladay got more run support he'd have more wins by now. He was only getting 2.6 rpg in the beggining of the year. I believe that Halladay is the best pitcher in the Major Leagues, and if he wins the rest of the games he pitches in, then he should win the Cy Young.

But as of right now Cliff Lee deserves it, but not by much.

4. Merc

No way. Cliff Lee is way better than Halladay. Both you and I are just sticking by our team's best pitchers but if you look at it, Lee is the impressive one.

5. Babe_Ruth

Don't get me wrong Lee is the top pitcher in the league right now. But I just believe that people have to take into consideration that Halladay didnt get any run support at the beggining of the season.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I just believe that it's a huge thing to take into account. I know it happens to every pitcher, but it has happened to many times with Halladay.

Also I believe if he played for a team like the Red Sox, he would have over 20 wins by now.

6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

Cliff Lee. Granted, Halladay definitely has the credentials (20 wins, 2.78 ERA, 200+ strikeouts, nine CG's) I feel Lee will win it because of his 22 wins.

Daisuke Matsuzaka has a fantastic record of 18-3, with only 128 hits allowed in 167.2 innings, with a 2.94 ERA, but he's walked 94, which for that innings total is a lot, and has not thrown a complete game this year. He missed time with an injury as well. He would have won it I felt had he not gotten injured.

7. Merc

I think people tend to look at the walks the wrong way. Yeah, he had a lot, but look at his ERA. Doesn't that tell you something about how clutch he is? He gets himself out of the problems he causes.

Granted, Cliff Lee seems to be a clear pick to me so no arguments there.

8. salsanchezfan

No argument with Lee, I agree there.

However, Dice-K's high walk totals led to high pitch counts, which prevented him from going deep into games this year, which puts a strain on the bullpen. He is no doubt a fantastic talent with that nasty gryoball, he just needs to limit his walks and his injuries and he'll be a hall of famer.

9. Babe_Ruth

I agree his walk totals hurts him, even though I still believe Halladay deserves it because he faced better teams then Cliff Lee did, Halladay faced the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees at least five times this season. Then I believe that in his 11 lost he only got 20 something runs support. So a lot of times he pitched really well, but didn't get the run support. But none the less Lee did have an amazing year, and he's going win it.

10. salsanchezfan

I agree that Halladay should not have even lost those 11 games. He'd be on the Rays, he would have won at least 25.