• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Who deserved/deserves it the most?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
We've probably done something similar in the past, but we have enough new posters in the section that we could get a good discussion going again.

Please make two choices. My list is too large for a poll, so I'll just list the choices below.

If you had to pick one of these past wrestlers that deserved to be a major World Champion the most, but wasn't, who would it be? Why?

Also, select a member of the second list (it starts with Christian) of current, but established, wrestlers that haven't won a major World Championship. Which one of these men deserve it the most? Why?

If you can think of someone else that deserves it more in either option, go ahead, just please explain why. The lists are pretty subjective, so I'm good with additions through the "other" category. Just do your homework and make sure they haven't been a champion!

NOTE: I'm thinking of the WWE/ECW(before WWECW)/WCW/NWA/TNA titles here.

Veterans:

"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
"Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig
Jake "The Snake" Roberts
"Razor Ramon" Scott Hall
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
Owen Hart
Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
"The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
Jesse "The Body" Ventura
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
"Hot Rod" Rowdy Roddy Piper
Other (please specify)

Current, but established, wrestlers:

"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels
Matt Hardy
William Regal
Kazarian
Robert Roode
"The Tennessee Cowboy" James Storm
Chris Sabin
Eric Young
John Morrison
"The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero
"The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry
Chavo Guerrero
Other (please specify)

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll have to come back to post some wrestlers a little later since I don't have much time right now, but I just wanted to say something about Ted DiBiase, Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect. I agree with you that these three wrestlers deserved to be World Champions, but one of the reasons they weren't is because the three of them were heels most of there careers, and especially during there prime. The WWF didn't like to give the World Championship belt to a lot of heels during that era, which is unfortunate because those three would of been great World Champions.

That said, they're some of the best IC Champions of all-time, and back then the belt meant a lot, especially compared to today.

Also regarding Owen Hart, I think we can all agree that he would of won the World Wrestling Federation Champions Belt if he didn't pass away.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Those are all legit reasons on why the guys didn't win it, but I still say that all four of the men that you listed deserved it. What's trending the WWE at any given time doesn't excuse overlooking people in my book...they did have face turns at the time, too.

And just because I was asked by someone, please remember to pick only one from each grouping (veterans and current) that you feel deserved it more than all others.

Edit: I'm removing Christian...I had forgotten about his time as TNA/NWA champion for some reason...probably because I'm so focused on wanting him to get the push in the WWE right now.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
As far as the past wrestlers go it is extremely tough. I think I am going to pick Scott Hall though. I agree with Biz, Owen would have won it. DiBiase, Perfect, Rude...they were all tremendous competitors but the fact Scott Hall never won shocks me the most. Ricky Steamboat too? How the hell did he never win?

But Scott Hall. We're talking about a man who was in the NWO...a man who was in the Kliq. His best friends were Hogan, Nash, HHH, HBK, Pac, etc and yet he never won the World title? It surprises me not only because of the friends he had but also because he was a hell of a wrestler. Look at his matches with Michaels; they are epic. I think everybody just assumes he won the World title in WCW during their haydays but he didn't. Not sure how he was overlooked. I mean you've got Russo, McMahon, and Arquette winning yet one of the best at that time never does...weird booking decisions.

Now days I think Christian is the obvious choice even though he is a former NWA Champion. I think he deserves to win the World or WWE title because he's been doing this for so long and the fans love him. He's earned the right to hold that title IMO.

Edit as well since Christian is off the list...

I guess part of me wants to pick Chavo Guerrero for some reason. He's a gifted athlete and has had awesome pushes in the past. He put Mysterio on the shelf in an I Quit match. He's a former member of La Familia and Los Guerreros. He's a former cruiserweight and ECW Champ. Him and Eddie were both awesome wrestlers and the way he was pushed I kinda thought he'd get a shot.

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
Veterans: Rowdy Roddy Piper
o-- "Deserved" is hard for me to say. Rowdy Roddy Piper is my bias pick. The reason for that is because I don't think I have enough viewing experience of past veterans. I wasn't really big into the wrestling scene until the Attitude Era started fading out. I caught some shows here and there, but wasn't invested into it as much as I am now.

Anywho, yes, Piper is my pick. I really enjoyed his promos, his charisma and felt he could have gone much further with a world title. He didn't really need it to show off his personality and skill, it just would have been nice for him to have it. For a title to actually have his name on it. For the titles sake more-so than Piper's. If that makes sense...

I'll come back to current, I don't really have a clear answer at the moment. >_>

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Great, great pick Vilky. Piper would be really hard to pass up as the man most deserving of the title, and now I have to rethink everything!

EDIT: I'm adding Piper and Snuka to the list.

A special thanks to Millz for helping me to compile my lists for this concept, lol.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So I'm finally going to make my picks, lol.

Veteran: Rowdy Roddy Piper.
What can I say, when Vilky thought of this guy it totally solved the tug of war I was having between DiBiase and Curt Hennig. Piper was larger-than-life, an all around great competitor, and he just added original and genuine personality to the business during his time. He was a main-eventer in every sense of the phrase. Some guys get the title for just having personality. He not only had one of the biggest wrestling personalities of all time, but he had that classic wrestling style to back it up.

Current: Robert Roode. What can I say about this guy. He's one of the most overlooked guys in the business; even though he's a part of one of the best tag teams of the last 10 years or so, he's one of those "total package" competitors that are somewhat rare these days. He's got an in-ring style that mixes classic grappling with a modern attitude. As he's proven since the face turn of Fortune (and before, of course), he can cut a passionate and quality promo. I just think that when Roode inevitably gets that main event push, the entire wrestling world will be saying "Oh, yeah...Roode! Why didn't we push him sooner?!"

The latter was a tough call for me, honorable mention goes to Matt Hardy and John Morrison. Matt has the established career and I do feel like he deserves a major title at some point, but there's also that part of me that notices that he's just not all the way there at every point in his career. I'd like to see it happen in TNA, though, things have been going well for him. Morrison will be a great heavyweight champ at some point...besides somewhat lackluster mic skills, he still oozes charisma and a great technical/high-flying in-ring style. With his flashy par cour style, he's really one of a kind. I think that his time needs to come sooner rather than later, despite all of the backstage heat coming off of WM. I'm hoping that a year from now thinks are looking different for him.

*Note: This is my 5,000th post. I made sure that it took place in the wrestling section, and I'm damn proud of that. In my book, this is the heart and soul of GF!*

wooly

I am the woolrus
My pick for the veteran is the same as Millz's, definitely Scott Hall for me. he was awesome as Razor Ramon, he was awesome in the nWo. What confuses me most about Scott Hall's failure to get a World Title, is how Kevin Nash was pushed above him in both WWF and WCW, even though Hall was more than twice the wrestler that Kevin Nash was. Way better both in ring and on the mic.

As for current wrestlers, definitely has to be Davey Richards for me. Since Bryan Danielson left for WWE, and definitely since Aries was bizarrely let go from ROH, Richards has been by far the best guy in the company. Maybe even before those two left. In ring, i think he's easily the best in the world right now, and he's pretty good on the mic aswell. For the length of time he's been receiving "best in the world" and "next world champ" chants pretty much everywhere he goes, it bemuses me every time someone is pushed above him. I feel he's much more deserving than Tyler Black, Roderick Strong or Eddie Edwards.

And i know you said you meant WWE/TNA titles for this but.... The way the TNA title is booked right now.... i'll be damned if i'm gonna count it as a World Title and not count the ROH belt!! :p

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
As for current wrestlers, definitely has to be Davey Richards for me. Since Bryan Danielson left for WWE, and definitely since Aries was bizarrely let go from ROH, Richards has been by far the best guy in the company. Maybe even before those two left. In ring, i think he's easily the best in the world right now, and he's pretty good on the mic aswell. For the length of time he's been receiving "best in the world" and "next world champ" chants pretty much everywhere he goes, it bemuses me every time someone is pushed above him. I feel he's much more deserving than Tyler Black, Roderick Strong or Eddie Edwards.

And i know you said you meant WWE/TNA titles for this but.... The way the TNA title is booked right now.... i'll be damned if i'm gonna count it as a World Title and not count the ROH belt!! :p
If the ROH title is a major world championship in your book, that's definitely fine with me!

Davey Richards is a great choice; I'm not sure if he'd make it past mid-card status in WWE/TNA, but he's an amazing competitor in the ring. I'm a fan for sure, and I'd love to see him in one of the big two companies. I'm just not so sure that they'd ever give him a major push, unfortunately.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
For the veterans, I would definitely say Scott Hall. It's really weird that the WWE never gave him a chance at the the WWE Championship since he was one of the most famous guys in the business during the 90s. There's no doubt in my mind that he could've carried it. The only other one I can think of is Paul Orndorff. He had an awesome feud with Hogan in the 80s. Its just kinda weird that he was one of the best heels in the business, but never got his shot at the gold.

For the current roster, I'd say William Regal. It pains me to see how underrated he is in the WWE. I like how they gave him a push in 2008 when he won the King of the Ring, but seriously they need to put a major championship on this guy's waist. He's super professional, he's super talented and he deserves it.