White People Can't Say "The 'N' Word?" Prove It.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Icyblackflame, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Icyblackflame

Icyblackflame Registered Member

I wrote this thread for another site and I don't feel like editing it. This site doesn't have enough members and crap to have these responses, so only the main questions are directed at you, mkay?

-----
    How many times have you seen something like this:
    So many people say that black people will kill (or something horrible) a white person for saying the 'N' word, but I have never seen that. I hear it so much, but I have never seen it acted upon outside of stereotypes and the saying in general. I used to live in the "ghetto," and now I live in a much less, but still connected to "the Ghetto" place. Some white people say that word (here) all the time, just like some of the black people. The only people who have a problem with it are the people who have a problem with the word in general. If you're white and say it and recieve looks from black people, is it possible that they just don't like that word?

I'm just curious. Can anyone supply me of stories where this has actually happened in their life to someone they know? Or at least enough to say that this is true? Remember that one story =/= to the whole race.

For all the black people on (fusion): what's your take on this? I personally do not care. I don't like the word, and it does not matter who uses it. Well, for some cases it does not matter. If, to you, the 'N' word means lazy black people, and you are saying something to refer to them, then sometimes I can't help but to agree. Other people, the people who are actually racists referring to "n's" as black people in general, then we have a problem. But the word can be swiped from general existance and then we have no problem.

By the way, for those of you who think this, the 'N' word does not mean "ignorant person." I don't know where you got that, but it does not, and never did mean that. It doesn't even mean "black person." (well, it mostly means that in the USA, but in English, it enerally means dark-skinned person.) If, back in the day, you came across a lazy, ig'nant white person, then you would not call them the 'N' word.

Actually, technically, the 'N' word was originally not a bad word - just a word that meant "black person," (generally in the USA) just liked "colored" (generally), and "negro." It was not originally thought of as a deragotory term by the black public. I am not sure of how it got to be what it was and is. Point to this? Those who are saying that the "original" meaning of the word is highly offensive, the word only has one original meaning, is demeaning to black people (originally), etc., are all being (indirect) hypocrites. The word originally meant no harm. So, in the event of anyone using it today, I am generally uneffected. Since the word gained a deragotory purpose in history, I don't see why we can't re-re-invent the word into something much less harmful now.

Back to the point. How many black people do you actually know that will kill/rape/maim you if you say the 'N] word (and only because you are white?)
    -----

Seriously. Where do you people get that from?
    -Icy

2. zunami

zunami Registered Member

It wasn't a bad word in the first place, but that doesn't really matter to me. If it's considered to be a bad word by black people because of the history associated with it, then it's a bad word when the context isn't right. I wouldn't say it to a black person unless I was friends with them just in case, but of course none of the ones I know would kill me. My choice would be based on 80% avoiding an awkward moment and 20% on not hurting the person's feelings. If you think 20% is low, then maybe I'm a bit insensitive but it's just a word. As long as the person doesn't become targeted, there's no reason for him to feel hurt. I hate the 'but you don't what it's like because you're not black' comeback because a lot of black people don't know what it's like to be persecuted based on their race either. Being black is not that bad. Racist phobes should look around at people with diseases and starvation instead of looking behind at how things were in the past.

3. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

Do you realize how racist it is to assert your blackness so .. & point @ those who are not black & call them the white people ?

You do realize that this is segregation & racism .. the deliberate separation of people based on racial heritage ..

I don't understand how come you need to separate yourself from other people based on blood heritage .. do you want to be regarded as a bigot who cant handle equality ?

Words like N!gger only carry the stigma afforded them by people who have issues with racial heritage .. just like cracker, spic, paky, wog .. they are nothing but words that evoke hostility in the name of bigotry ..

4. Icyblackflame

You know what, ChinUp? If you can't see the fucking point to threads like this in this section, then you need to stop posting here.

I can't believe how you read this and miss the whole point. If you're going to continue this, then I am going to ignore you. I honestly can't believe you.
    -Icy

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Granted ChinUp was a bit harsh to you, but his post does ring in some truth. I believe the word does encourage segregation and racism. One of the things I've always wondered is why the word was and still is embraced by the black community. It's a term that was meant to degrade and seperate a group of people from another, so why is it used in the same context as "friend"?

I don't like how you phrased your response ChinUp, we don't need to snipe at people here. I made a thread like this before about the word, so I must be asserting my blackness, right? Of course, there's the minor issue with me being white and all. Don't let petty arguments into your responses please because I do agree with some of what you say,

The bottom line and usual truth of the matter is that it's a word that has a different effect from person to person. That effect varies not only by skin color, but by that person's reaction to their own interpretations. Two of my best friends and future housemates are black and they think nothing of it unless it's used in an obviously insulting manner. It's the same way I'd get pissed if someone threw and ethnic slur at my Italian or Irish heritage. Jokingly I don't care, but once someone calls me a mick or greaseball, that's where I'll be upset.

So it's in the interpretation. If you really don't like the word and get offended when people use it (any way besides insulting), just say so. Make sure people know it bothers you, but at the same time, you must realize that it doesn't affect everyone the same way and that you have to be an idiot to think it does.

6. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

I will never call someone the "N" bomb unless they are truly ignorant...and I don't care what race you are when I say it. If the shoe fits where it, dimwit! hehe! I have called people it to! Majority of the time they backed down tho...cuz i had a rep back then (when I was in the gang).

Yes, blacks do get highly offensive to the word. My twin brother once called a black guy the "N" bomb (I hate having to type that instead of the word....its stupid to bleep that word out, but allow curse words...fuck [is that bleeped?!]) and I was behind them. The guy didn't notice I was in eyesight and earshot. He just flips and hits my bro accross the face for saying it. I bolted up instantly and he looked back at me just in time to see my fist collide with his eye. It knocked him down and then my bro and I beat the shit out of him!

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's reasonable that blacks would be angry at the usage of the word, yet at the same time it's just a word, let alone a word many blacks embrace!

8. Icyblackflame

You didn't read the whole OP, did you? Don't worry. It's almost like I have to expect no one here to.

I'll rephrase. Originally, the 'n' word was not deragotory. It only meant "black person," and black people back in the day even used it to greet each other, much like today. Nobody was offended by it because it meant nothing more than "negro," "colored," and niger, the Latin word that it was based off of. It only gained its deragotory connotation sometime in the 1960s, but I'm not sure how or why. I can't seem to find that anywhere.

I want to know what is wrong with using the word's original definition. At least "n***a." Since it is just about the equivalent of "black" or "bro."
    I honestly don't understand any of what you just said there, well, besides the first part. I said that because every time I say "white" or "black" person, he's trying to prove what an undercover racist I am or some stupid shit like that. Tell me, Merc. Do we need to erase the terms period? Is it necessary to have them for any reason at all? I want to know what you think.
    1) The word doesn't vary by skin color.
    2) The meaning never changes. The intention changes. If someone says eomthing to you as a joke, then the word still has the same meaning, it's just that they are saying it for amusement rather than to be insulting (as in, the word has the same meaning, but they don't necessariy mean what the wrd means.)
    3) Ah, go get drunk somewhere, ya bum =)
    Are the very first and very last parts aimed at me or are you speaking generally? The midde part seems general, but I can't tell about the other two.

That's why I say "one" when I write thing slike this. Just so everything is clear XD

Still...none of ths answers the thread's question. Or maybe ou have an earlier post. I donno.
    -Icy

See above post. Also, black people don't embrace "n****r," they embrace "n***a," which is probably closer to the word "niger," which is what "n****r" originated from. It means "black."

Or, "n***a" would be a spinoff from "n****r," trying to bring the word's original meaning back from the three plus centuries of it not being deragotory at all.
    -Icy

9. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

[thread=14470]Hip Hop Culture - The Decline of Black Society? [/thread]

[thread=14589]"African American" vs. "Black"[/thread]

[thread=14714]White People Can't Say "The 'N' Word?" Prove It.[/thread]

Rock music .. the decline of white society ?

"Caucasian" vs "white"

Black people Cant say "Cracker" Prove It.

Do you see the point I'm trying to make here .. somebody is feeling the need to make race an issue .. I don't know about you but I don't feel the need to announce that I'm white & make threads about it ..

I thought about the word n!igger .. couldn't think of a word that white people could get called that would have a similar effect .. i wonder why ? Its not like white folks haven't faced abusive treatment in history for nothing more than being white ..

But the victim stigma sits with the non whites .. for some reason .. even to a point that I see folks who are white dare not even mention race .. & folks who are not white are very big on taking about it, plus enjoy for the most part anonymity from the racist stigma white people seem to suffer from ..

I don't see any point to it .. your blue .. whatever .. to me your text on a screen .. whats the point in announcing your race .. WTF does that have to do with the price of tea ?

Seems to me white folks don't use the word n!gger because 1 they don't feel the need .. 2 they don't want to start listening to streams of rubbish about racial pride & the like ..

I think many are like me & bored to tears with the whole race issue ..

10. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Drop the grudge against her. She isn't racist, so stop making her out to be racist. She might be black, but that doesn't make her a racist. Altho, blacks are currently the most racsit of races. Despite that she isn't.

Race isn't an issue to her, but it is an issue that humanity has. An unjust and unfair one, but it exists. She is just pointing it out. Does that make her racist? NO!

Drop ur grudge!

Hmm...good point.

Yet, another good point. Reason being is that whites at one point were the most racist....now that is no longer the case.

This is superfluous points. You might see the text, but she is a real person behind a computer. You had said something along the lines of, "Its like saying an apple is from a grocery store as opposed to a tree." (not word for word tho)....you're looking at her as the grocery store.

Mostly the second...

*raises hand* Ditto...but you can't seem to point it out appropriately!