• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

White House press sec'y invokes... GWB?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
This came to me via my browser start page, Google News. I'd like to get a range of opinions on it, if at all possible. (My own can be found below the quoted text.)

In a briefing with reporters aboard Air Force One, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney cited the Bush administration as he fielded a question about the GOP response to the announced troop withdrawal from Iraq. It was Bush who launched the Iraq campaign when he called Iraq part of the axis of evil that threatened the United States and said it was linked to international terrorism and wanted to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Both claims were questioned by critics, especially after no such major weapons were recovered during the more than eight years of the U.S.-led war.

In a question, a reporter described the Republicans as accusing Obama as acting “based on political motivations and just sort of sheer ineptitude.” Carney fired back that the commitment to withdraw by the end of the year was part of an agreement “signed by the Iraqi government and the Bush administration.

“So in response to the criticism, I just have to ask, you know, what country are they living in? What planet are they living on,” Carney said of the Republicans.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-bush-iraq-withdraw-20111024,0,5751179.story

I find that his tack has a base of merit, notwithstanding the bemusing concept of "living up to" the legacy of Bush in Iraq. We Are The 99% of Righties, however, would probably see things very differently on this specific point. How would you respond to Mr. Carney's remarks?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think Carney is right, they are just complying with the agreement the prior administration came to. It's time to get out of Iraq, the claim that Obama is just playing politics is without merit.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I agree with CO.

I also think the GOP needs to stop trying their hardest to smear Obama and search for a good candidate. I kind of don't want to vote Obama to be honest but I haven't seen another candidate that I enjoy yet.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It would be nice if the LA Times would cite which Republicans said the decision was "based on political motivations and just sort of sheer ineptitude". I'm just wondering who has that attitude. Everyone I've seen or talked to is glad its over and is proud of our military for completing the job.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It would be nice if the LA Times would cite which Republicans said the decision was "based on political motivations and just sort of sheer ineptitude". I'm just wondering who has that attitude. Everyone I've seen or talked to is glad its over and is proud of our military for completing the job.
Same here, up to now, but you know politics. Here's your answer:

Leading Republicans criticize U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq - latimes.com

Republicans criticize Obama on Libya, Iraq - Washington Times

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Iraq And Afghanistan ‘Being Run Out Of Chicago, Not Washington’ | Mediaite

Yeah, I don't know what that last bit is even supposed to mean. :dunno:
------
What will happen if Iraq joins the spiral of instability currently underway in the middle east?
You mean the Arab Spring? I don't know. Start a thread.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It does seem like the LA Times is in the tank for Obama 2012:

The Obama administration is finding some new political cover by invoking the Bush administration after Republican presidential hopefuls stepped up their attacks on the president’s announcement that the United States would withdraw its troops from Iraq by year’s end.
No, it was one presidential hopeful and Lindsey Graham. Not even the frontrunner according to the RCP average. Either very sloppy reporting or liberal bias.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
No, it was one presidential hopeful and Lindsey Graham. Not even the frontrunner according to the RCP average. Either very sloppy reporting or liberal bias.
Ah, methinks thou dost protest too much. One minute of googling and I found:

Romney, Perry hammer Obama over Iraq pullout

Cain criticizes Obama's Iraq strategy as he courts Iowa football vote

Who's the sloppy or biased reporter now?

And just by the way, my links in post #6 did mention (if clicked on) who has said what about Iraq, not just Lindsey Graham.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Ah, methinks thou dost protest too much. One minute of googling and I found:

Romney, Perry hammer Obama over Iraq pullout

Cain criticizes Obama's Iraq strategy as he courts Iowa football vote

Who's the sloppy or biased reporter now?
you are for posting the link to Romney. :lol:

And just by the way, my links in post #6 did mention (if clicked on) who has said what about Iraq, not just Lindsey Graham.
:lol: Its late - leave me alone.

I guess when you run a campaign you are always anti-position of who you are running against and I guess that mindset is hard to get out of. I don't know. Everyone knows that we have benchmarks and everyone knows that this war's been run off the Bush schedule since birth, so I really don't understand why Cain and Romney would say such.
Graham I can understand though. Lindsey is a iron hawk. He always has been and the answer for him is always more military. I think Graham is being faithful to who he actually is on this and would have said the same regardless of the president.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
you are for posting the link to Romney. :lol:
Why? I don't understand. The article read, "Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney harshly criticized President Obama in the wake of the president's announcement that the United States will withdraw all troops from Iraq by the end of the year." Romney, Perry, Bachmann, Cain... all of the front-runners and the back-runners had something negative to say about Obama's follow-through on Bush's withdrawal plan. None, that I saw, mentioned Bush even once. Sorry if I've missed something.

:lol: Its late - leave me alone.
Ahh, no worries. I temporarily forgot about post #6 myself. :hah:

I guess when you run a campaign you are always anti-position of who you are running against and I guess that mindset is hard to get out of.
Sounds right. One could expect the same from Democrats running against a Republican incumbent.

Graham I can understand though. Lindsey is a iron hawk. He always has been and the answer for him is always more military. I think Graham is being faithful to who he actually is on this and would have said the same regardless of the president.
Lindsey Graham has a lot about him to appreciate. He says some things that strike me as a little paranoid sometimes, but it seems like he does truly believe everything he says. Graham's a true Southern gentleman who tempers criticism with civilities like "I respectfully disagree" and "I hope I'm wrong about this." Like Jon Huntsman, he won't stoop to the kind of jingoistic whoring that unfortunately does turn out votes. Like Jon Huntsman, Graham doesn't have a prayer. :-/