White House Correspondents Dinner Laughs

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, May 10, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's always fun to take a step back and have a good laugh. Once again Obama does not disappoint. He got some good well deserved laughs here. He snuck in some cheap shots as well but hey that's to be expected:

YouTube - {Part 1} President Jokes @ White House Correspondents Dinner

YouTube - {Part 2} President Jokes @ White House Correspondents Dinner

Obama, Comic Wanda Sykes Headline D.C. Correspondents' Dinner - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com

:lol:

Last edited: May 10, 2009

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

One thing I will say about the guy is he has class. He really seems like the kind of guy that I could sit down with, watch football and have a couple beers with...

I just don't agree with him politically.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Gotta admire a President who can say the phrase "in the heezy" and not sound like a tool.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I was disappointed about some of the comments I read from Wanda Sykes attacking Limbaugh and Palin's family. This has always been a roast on the President and to tear into 2 private citizens (Limbaugh and Palin's daughter) was really unnecessary. Its not an Obama thing, I realize that he had nothing to do with what she said.

This has everything to do with disappointment in Sykes. I always liked Sykes, she's done some good kids movies. Someone here posted a psa she did about using the phrase "That's so gay" and it really made me think about the way I use language. I mean, I'd never call her a nappy-headed dyke for example. As a conservative, I know that I disagree with 95% of the entertainers. As long as they are attacking political leaders, I don't care. Whoopie Goldberg can talk about Bush all day long and she's still a great actress for example. But, when they get personal or cross the line and start attacking citizens, it just ruins it for me.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I couldn't agree more, it's always been about roasting the president, not making personal jokes about people on the other side of the political spectrum. I've never been a fan of her's, but found her comments disappointing nontheless.

6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Well, that's a relief. For a second there I thought you were about to say it.

...you wouldn't have devoted a second's thought to issues of invasion of "citizen" privacy if Sykes' joke had been about Michael Moore. True?

Look, if someone doesn't like the Kathy Griffin-Lisa Lampinelli style of insult comedy that happens to be 'in' right now, fine. But how did I know who would come out of the dittohead woodwork, wringing their hands in synchronized pious grief in response to this skit and all others that target the Right? The answer is easy; they are, with little exception, the same crowd who remain collectively mum when the lines of propriety are truly crossed.

[​IMG]

, I know that I disagree with 95% of the entertainers. As long as they are attacking political leaders, I don't care. Whoopie Goldberg can talk about Bush all day long and she's still a great actress for example. But, when they get personal or cross the line and start attacking citizens, it just ruins it for me.[/quote]

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I can say without hesitation if someone had made some comments during the White House correspondant's dinner during the Bush administration aimed at Michael Moore I would have said the same thing I said in regards to what Sykes said. It's not the time nor the place.

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I'll believe that when I see it. Denying that the rancor over the dinner's agenda is a partisan snipe doesn't ring true for this rube.

How do you figure? Rush, by his own willful actions, is one of the most conspicuous politically-oriented characters of our day. Bullshit that he's out of bounds in this setting. After what he said, Sykes' rapier skewering of Limbaugh was relevant and well-deserved. It's neither here nor there that I happen to think it was a howl.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, technically she was putting words into Limbaugh's mouth. He never once said that he hopes America fails. He said he hopes Obama fails, so that America WON'T. The way he sees it, if Obama gets his way, he will make America a much worse place, hence why he hopes Obama fails, so that America can stay intact. His words are being twisted to make him look like some anti-American bigot.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Sykes can say whatever she wants, I don't really care. I'm just saying it ruins it for me when she crosses over to vitriol. If anybody said that about Michael Moore or Obama's daughter I would have had the same sick feeling regardless if they were a conservative or not.

This is my exact quote from watching the Sykes psa a few months ago:
    I knew she's gay and a liberal, but I still liked her and respected her. I'm just saying I won't be seeing any more of her movies. It disappointed me.