• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

White guilt

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've seen more white Americans apologize for their whiteness over the last week than my entire life.
Taking a knee and crying to black America about their privilege.
Whites washing the feet of BLM.
Football star acting like a 7 year old girl apologizing because he said the American flag represents his grandfather.

Now this douche in KY
Free healthcare to African Americans.

Morons.

dDave

V.I.P.
“Implicit bias”

There’s a dangerous term.

I’m sick and tired of everyone trouncing all over me just for being white. As if I have some advantage in life just because I’m white, owe someone something just because I’m white, or the implication that I am inherently racist by virtue of being white. I make no apologies about who I am. White guilt is awful and in and of itself racist.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As a man, I have never gotten upset like many did at Brees for what he said. They may be phenomenal athletes, but they are weak and pathetic. Likewise, I found Brees’ apology weak. Stand for your convictions.

I’m a minority. I’m know I’ve said this before, but grandfather came to the US at time when there were “No Mexicans Allowed” in the windows of restaurants and hotels. I’ve also relayed a story of high school baseball, where I heard things like “Check his green card” and “His back’s still wet”.

Racism still exists. It will always exist. We can quell racism, but we’re human, and humans are flawed.

I think white guilt is pathetic. Nobody is guilty for something someone else did. Nobody is responsible for something someone else did. Coach Pop recently said he was embarrassed for being white. That’s so weak and pathetic. I’m embarrassed for him.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I personally don't like the notion, along with the long string of stories of people apologizing for their "whiteness". In the gay community, there's always been the notion you cannot help being gay, it's what we're born to be. We cannot change the way we were born with our skin color. That's just the draw of genetics and outcome of making it to the egg before the others.

But let's make something very clear, racial prejudices have been around for centuries, and unfortunately still linger today even in subtle ways. However, I've known a many white person to go above and beyond those stereotypes to show me by their actions they support everyone and do not condone any racial antics what so ever. They are good people through and through, yet because of their complexion, they are to be burdened by the sins of ghosts and history past. That doesn't fly with me. No one should be condemned for the sins of the past. I don't blame EVERY white person to be racist, just the one's who've shown their true color directly.

I feel like the apologizing because you're white is a strong arm approach, and its become a leverage for everyone else to use against Caucasians, especially those who are genuinely allies to the movement or in general.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Its not about taking the blame for our ancestors. Its about recognising that we participate in it still today without realising it. Its SO strong and far reaching, those of us not affected don't see it because its ingrained in our day to day. white supremacy IS a thing and it IS a problem. The reason so many of us still don't see it, is because of it. It can encroach in something as simple as who you swipe right or left on, on tinder. Our colleagues admonishing us for saying black instead of african canadian, how we pat ourselves on the back because we know enough not to say the N word. Do people think these protesters are protesting nothing? You really think this many people of colour would be hitting the streets because life is the same for them as for us? This isn't something new, its been around for YEARS and people are sick of it. Especially when its the people doing it, trying to tell them that it isn't actually happening lol. This isn't suddenly a problem, its one that started far back in history, and has led things to where they are today.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I thought this was an interesting read on the subject.

This video was also telling, given that it was done completely from the perspective of black people, mainly black celebrities.

Excellent article and video. I've read the BLM demands from their website. Nothing about the breakdown of the black family and how that's lead to poverty and crime.
Maybe on one side the system does need to change but it's also true in the other side you need to realize that when a father is gone and children are being raised by their grandmother, you are sowing seeds of dispair and trouble.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Its not about taking the blame for our ancestors. Its about recognising that we participate in it still today without realising it. Its SO strong and far reaching, those of us not affected don't see it because its ingrained in our day to day. white supremacy IS a thing and it IS a problem. The reason so many of us still don't see it, is because of it. It can encroach in something as simple as who you swipe right or left on, on tinder. Our colleagues admonishing us for saying black instead of african canadian, how we pat ourselves on the back because we know enough not to say the N word. Do people think these protesters are protesting nothing? You really think this many people of colour would be hitting the streets because life is the same for them as for us? This isn't something new, its been around for YEARS and people are sick of it. Especially when its the people doing it, trying to tell them that it isn't actually happening lol. This isn't suddenly a problem, its one that started far back in history, and has led things to where they are today.
It’s logically fallacious to argue because a lot of people are doing something, they must be right. Lots of people are abusing heroin. Does that mean abusing heroin is ok? Of course not

IF white supremacy was so ingrained in our society, why are Asians the most educated and wealthier than any other group? Why are Asians less likely to be incarcerated than anyone else?

I’m no sociologist, but I will argue as a minority who grew up in largely Hispanic area, there is a problem of culture. Those of us who did well in school, who spoke correct English, who wanted to further their education, are mocked. People would say “se cree gringo” (he thinks he’s white), and called coconuts. On TV we see shows like Blackish, with stories that one isn’t “black enough”. Even to this day, I still hear things like vendido (sell out) and things of that nature.

My point is, pointing to a race of people and blaming them for your situation is weak. So are whites apologizing for things they didn’t do. For being embarrassed for being white. People need to do things themselves to get themselves out of a situation, rather than blaming someone else. Terms like white supremacy and systemic racism are cop outs. They are excuses for people who don’t do anything about their situation.

Thats not to say there isn’t a disparity in how blacks are treated by the police or in sentencing in criminal cases.There is. But it’s not as prevalent as many claim it to be.

dDave

V.I.P.
If the media tells everyone they're a victim for long enough then I would argue people are inclined to believe it. You have an entire political party (the Democratic Party) constantly telling black people how victimized they are and how evil the racist Republicans are. For some odd reason no one is ever required to present even a shred of credible evidence regarding these issues and people just eat it up because the media or the Democrats said so.

Question. Being white, how is it reasonable to say that I have to fix an alleged problem with myself that I am not aware of and no one can actually identify? Lots of people will say I have white privilege and then they'll point to stuff like how much money I make, how the police don't search my car when I get pulled over, how I am eligible for better employment, how people don't discriminate against me because I'm white.

1.) I know plenty of minorities (black, asian, latino, etc.) that make WAY more than I do even with less education.
2.) I have been pulled over (basic speeding violation) and the police have searched my car (by a white cop btw)
3.) I was once told that I'm not eligible for a job because the company wanted to diversify its workforce and hire more minorities (they actually said that to me, outright)
4.) My opinion on racial issues has been dismissed for years simply because I'm white, as if I can't understand what some people go through (maybe they ought to study up on ethnic gnosticism)

It gets even more crazy when I get told that I need to apologize for my white privilege rather than simply recognize that I have it (which, I do not recognize). I am made to feel guilty for being white because for some reason people think it's appropriate to shame me for my skin color (which is racist btw). I simply do not feel guilty for the sins of my ancestors. Just because many white people 100 years ago were crazy racists doesn't mean that's carried on to me. I have done exactly zero racist things to anyone in my entire life. I treat everyone with respect and I will not be made to feel bad about racism from days long gone simply because I'm white.

I think because of the history of racism in America a lot of people are convinced that perceived racism is automatically judged correctly as actual racism. They're two entirely different things.

I don't deny that PRIVILEGE exists but white privilege is either very isolated or doesn't exist. Systemic racism in America is certainly a myth. The numbers simply do not add up. If you can point to verifiable examples of racism and injustice then I'll be glad to stand alongside you and fight against it all day but emotional arguments and hyperbole aren't good enough to make a compelling case.

I will admit I have privilege because my parents raised me right. Taught me how to respect people, handle money, work hard, and make wise decisions. That's got absolutely nothing to do with my being white though.

A lot of people don't have that family structure, especially black families, unfortunately. 75% of black homes are single parent homes, the overwhelming majority being fatherless. Looking at that, it's no wonder nearly 50% of violent crimes are committed by black males and that the incarceration rates among black men are much higher than any other ethnic group. I can see how that could lead people to believe there's a racial problem but again, perceived racism doesn't automatically make it so. There are much deeper issues at play here.

To be clear. I do believe racism is a thing, I won't deny that. I just believe it's not a hugely rampant problem in America today. Many people in America today are buying into lies of division and hatred for the sake of politics and they don't even know they are being played.