• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

While You're Waiting for The Elder Scrolls VI

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was just trying this benchmark test from Unigine. Does this put anyone else in the mood to play a new Elder Scrolls game?

If only Skyrim looked like that. I still have trouble playing Skyrim due to how the people look. I've tried mods and it just doesn't bring it up to 2020 graphics if you ask me.

The next Elder Scrolls game isn't expected to be released until the mid 2020's from what I've read. The announcement trailer basically feels like that benchmark test above, but with better graphics. I don't know if this was realtime or rendered graphics though.

Here's a great article on this upcoming release: Everything we know about The Elder Scrolls 6

dDave

V.I.P.
The load distance on objects in that particular benchmark test is pretty poor. You can see stuff loading in even in the immediate viewable area. This is something that Zelda Breath of the Wild is known for but in fairness the system it runs on (Wii U or Switch) isn't all that powerful, just well optomized.

I have high hopes for Elder Scrolls VI. Skyrim came out 9 years ago, it's no surprise that it doesn't look perfect and modern anymore. Mods definitely bring it a long way. They've also done major engine updates to allow it to use more than 2 CPU cores and more than 4GB of RAM. The game is better than it's ever been but you're right in saying it doesn't quite hold up.

Not that I mind graphics looking dated on older games. I still play plenty of older PC games and even N64 on a regular basis. lol.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I absolutely love Elder Scrolls games. I think we’ll be waiting longer than 2020 for VI, though. I wish it was sooner but I bet at least 2021 - 2023. Skyrim’s graphics never really give me a problem, especially since I bought the remastered version for PS4. I find the scenery beautiful and I still haven’t used mods at all.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm not a huge fan of the series. I played a bunch of Morrowind on the original Xbox and really liked it. Skipped Oblivion. Tried Skyrim twice when it first released, before finally pushing my way through the special edition for trophies this year. I'll more than likely give the next one a shot, because I'm a glutton for punishment, and hopefully Bethesda has learned from Skyrim's launch. And I agree with Unity, we're not seeing this game anytime soon. My guess is November 2022.

dDave

V.I.P.
I absolutely love Elder Scrolls games. I think we’ll be waiting longer than 2020 for VI, though. I wish it was sooner but I bet at least 2021 - 2023. Skyrim’s graphics never really give me a problem, especially since I bought the remastered version for PS4. I find the scenery beautiful and I still haven’t used mods at all.
Skyrim's graphics are really good for 2011 but they are definitely a bit dated by today's standards, even with modification and updates.

It'll be nice to get a modern graphical update to the Elder Scrolls series. They're always pushed the limits of what's possible.

I'm not a huge fan of the series. I played a bunch of Morrowind on the original Xbox and really liked it. Skipped Oblivion. Tried Skyrim twice when it first released, before finally pushing my way through the special edition for trophies this year. I'll more than likely give the next one a shot, because I'm a glutton for punishment, and hopefully Bethesda has learned from Skyrim's launch. And I agree with Unity, we're not seeing this game anytime soon. My guess is November 2022.
I have to agree as well. Bethesda is notorious for putting these out late and delaying. Luckily, we always end up with a fairly well polished product in the end. I never played Morrowind but did play some Oblivion and a fair bit of Skyrim.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I try not to think about Elder Scrolls VI simply because I want to play it so, so much. I loved Oblivion and played the ever loving heck out of that game. I played a lot of Skyrim and really enjoy that game, also. I don't mind that Bethesda has such a long development cycle for the Elder Scrolls games. They consistently put out an entertaining product worth sinking hundreds of hours into.

I wish I could have gotten into Morrowwind but I didn't try it until Skyrim was already out.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't mind that Bethesda has such a long development cycle for the Elder Scrolls games. They consistently put out an entertaining product worth sinking hundreds of hours into.
I totally agree. Skyrim is close to 10 years old, yet every time I talk or read about it I think about starting a new character. And I’ve done that so many times lol. I’m thinking of that now even though I’m hooked on two other games that are new to me currently.

A lot of production work and heart put into these games leads me that way, and I wouldn’t want one rushed.

dDave

V.I.P.
I totally agree. Skyrim is close to 10 years old, yet every time I talk or read about it I think about starting a new character. And I’ve done that so many times lol. I’m thinking of that now even though I’m hooked on two other games that are new to me currently.

A lot of production work and heart put into these games leads me that way, and I wouldn’t want one rushed.
Absolutely. You can tell when a game is rushed and there’s always some type of quality loss be it weird glitches, graphics that don’t look right, engine instability, a smaller world, or limited dialogue in an otherwise immersive world.

I have a really strong appreciation for the Elder Scrolls series because of the quality and workmanship that goes into it. It’s Bethesda’s baby and it shows.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Bethesda Game Studios are known for releasing buggy games at launch, especially Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. Most people just look the other way because the worlds are so fun to explore and get lost in. It's understandable though, in games that big, there's no way to test for everything. But yeah, Bethesda and bugs go hand-in-hand in a lot of gamer's and critic's minds.

dDave

V.I.P.
Bethesda Game Studios are known for releasing buggy games at launch, especially Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. Most people just look the other way because the worlds are so fun to explore and get lost in. It's understandable though, in games that big, there's no way to test for everything. But yeah, Bethesda and bugs go hand-in-hand in a lot of gamer's and critic's minds.
I got Skyrim on launch day and don't remember it being super buggy. I played it a lot for about 2 weeks when I first got it (which is sad, I know). Only thing I remember was a completely random texture simply not loading on one wall and the game just showing the base background color (which I remember being blue) instead of a texture.

It may have something to do with the fact that I played on PC which, as I understand it, received much more regular patches and fixes.