Which War had the most impact on society?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Pretty simple question here, but hopefully I get a good detailed response, which War had the most impact on our society?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The First World War had the most impact by a long shot.

It changed the way humans think, it led to revolutions and innovations in the way we operate as society that its difficult to comprehend what life was like before these changes. The period after it is the avante garde of the modern era.

I;d go into a lot of deatil but iuts difficult to know where to start... it changed so much..... (and Im in the middle of writting a paper) ,,,but Ill get back to this....

3. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

World War I.

The great European empires were weakened or destroyed, beginning the decline of European imperialism and colonialism. WWI spawned the Communist tsunami and the rise of Fascism. The USA began to take an international view of the world. Japan became a major power. The peoples of Asia, Africa, and India yearned for self-determination. The foundation for the current troubles in the Middle East was created during and after WWI. The women's movement (particularly in the USA) gained momentum during the upheaval. The failure of the League of Nations led to the creation of the U.N. -- which ain't doing too hot

4. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

--Perhaps the Greco-Persian wars were the most influential. If the Greeks had lost to the Persians, Western society as we know it would likely not contain the democratic-republic foundations on which our political and cultural institutions are built. John Locke probably would not have been around to create his social contract theories...the foundations of our American Revolution would not have been able to hark back to the democratic tradition, the Civil War likely would not have occurred, etc... etc...

CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I know that the first world war had a ton of impact on Canada. It helped us arise as a nation of our own, seperate from Britain. it got us more respect and eventually lead to us seperating from britain. Gave us a sense of identity.

6. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

I think WWI and WWII were both very influential, considering that WWI completely remapped Europe, but WWII gave rise to communism.

7. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I'm going for the Thirty Years' war

The impact of WW1 and WW2 on the societies at home was great, very great and indeed both of them marked the end of an era (Old Europe if one may call it that). The reason why I'm not picking them is because after the wars the countries involved quickly adjusted to the new situation and life as usual went on. The roaring 20's and the economic miracle of the 50's brought new welfare and new optimism.. pretty quickly after the war.

Not so with the Thirty Years war. This was basically a german civil war between protestants and catholics, which soon attracted the attention of rival foreign powers. In the years that followed Germany became a battlefield where imperial armies and undisciplined mercenaries held sway.
    At the end of the conflict the population had dropped by a 5th of its original number. In some areas the number of people killed exceeded half the population. There was famine.. pestilence.. total anarchy.

Not just the savagery left deep psychological scars all across Europe, also the idea of christians going to war against one another (Protestant vs Catholic) and commiting such cruel acts to their fellow man made scars that equalled those of WW1.

In the end the German empire was left in ruins and its territory divided in countless of small states and cities. Development took an immediate halt and the once rich German culture didn't produce any artist of mention until only the late 18th century, more than 150 years after the conflict.

That's why, I choose for this war.

[​IMG]

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I'm going to have to go with this one for the exact same reasons. Western society as we know it would have been drastically different had the Greeks lost. While many wars have been very influential, I would have to agree these are more so.

9. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I disagree personally. Even if the Persians would have won.. Greece would be reduced to a Persian province, but keep her culture and her influence. The Greek shores of Anatolia (Ionia) had already been occupied and apart from a change in leadership, no real damage was done to Greek culture and society there.

Besides, during the reign of Xerxes the Persian empire was already in decline. Even if Greece had been fully occupied.. it would soon declare independence again when the Persians had difficulties with the installation of a new king (just like how the rest of the conquered provinces rose against them as soon as leadership was a little weaker than usual).

10. Juan_Pablo

Juan_Pablo Registered Member

World War 2: The British Empire has suffered so much infrastructure and economical damage to the point where by the next decade their status of superpower was lost. Soviet Russia had lost 15% of it's population over that war, a loss which is still echoed to this day with a shrinking population. The USA totally destroyed two cities with the click of a button by dropping atomic bombs. Actions which are feared to this day as nuclear war-fare. Today most European countries are not experiencing revolution or war. As opposed to the time between the end of WWI and the collapse of the USSR (excluding WWII of course). The second world war took the lives of approximatley 80 million people. A sentiment which has influenced countries not to fight with weapons anymore but rather with sanctions and trades. Most countries excluding communist or Islamic republics abide by these democratic rules, which is almost the entire world.