Which three books?

Steerpike

Registered Member
Filby: "But it isn't like George. - To return empty handed. To try to rebuild a civilization without a plan. (to Mrs. Watchett)
He must have taken something with him."
Watchett: "Nothing."
Watchett: "Nothing except three books."
Filby: "Which three books?"
Watchett: "I don't know. -- Is it important?"
Filby: "No, I suppose not. - Only...what three books would you have taken?"
This dialogue is from the 1960 version of the movie, "The Time Machine." So I pose Filby's question to forumites, if you were to try to build a civilization from scratch and you could take three and only three books (or documents) for building this civilization, which three books (or documents) would you take and why?

Discuss.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
That's a really interesting question but I'm too chicken to be the first person to answer it.

I definitely would take something lighthearted, like something by Bill Bryson, because I don't think people should take life so seriously all the time.

I'm not sure about the other two.

ooh - eta: Webster's Dictionary :nod:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I definitely would take something lighthearted, like something by Bill Bryson, because I don't think people should take life so seriously all the time.
"A Walk in the Woods." Everybody should read that book.

maledoro

Strange Visitor
Not that I could name any specific titles, but I would choose a book on mathematics, a book on agriculture and a book on Earth science.

redsoxocd

living on the border
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)- Well besides that fact that it is my favorite book, it shows a lot about how the world (well englang) used to be. And it is one away of how society formed. It also shows examples of kind heartedness, and other really good qualities that people should have.

The Catcher In the Rye (J.D. Salinger, my 2nd favorite book). It shows a way of life from a kind of pesimistic person, who in the end decides to do the right thing

And I cant think of a third one right now

Steerpike

Registered Member
Not that I could name any specific titles, but I would choose a book on mathematics, a book on agriculture and a book on Earth science.
This is more along the lines that could be expected. The book on agriculture is practical (this would allow evolution from hunter/gatherer to farming). With those other two choices, why mathematics and earth science?

maledoro

Strange Visitor
This is more along the lines that could be expected. The book on agriculture is practical (this would allow evolution from hunter/gatherer to farming). With those other two choices, why mathematics and earth science?
Mathematics is everywhere. As for Earth science, it allows you to understand the world around you.