TV Which subculture would you like to see a drama series about?

Sim

Registered Member
In the past decade, especially pay tv channels on cable have started with a wave of drama/family series which all focus on a particular subculture, which makes them interesting, because the everyday life of people with very weird and alien habits was shown to the viewer:

First there was "The Sopranos" about Italian-American mafia mobsters and their family life. "Six Feet Under" about Californian funeral home runners. "The Wire" about drug dealers and users in welfare ghettos. "Queer as Folk" about homosexuals and their problems. "Mad Men" about culture around 1960. "Nip/Tuck" about two plastic surgeons, one of them sex addicted and the other an unsympathetic loser. "Big Love" about a Mormon polygamist family, one husband with three wives.

All of these shows have in common that they show the everyday life of particular subcultures or demographics most people don't belong to themselves, which are more or less excentric, but which have enough similarity with the general mainstream they can relate to the people they see.

So my question is: Which subculture would you like to see a drama tv series about, which is made in a similar fashion? Anybody you always wanted to see a series about?

Personally, I would love to see a drama/family show in a similar fashion as the abovementioned, about Muslim immigrants in the West (America or western Europe). In a manner that both differences and problems regarding integration are mentioned, yet the emotions and situations behind these people's actions explained in a manner that allows the viewer to sympathize with them, and recognize their flaws as just human.

I think that could make a great show.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Right now I'm absolutely content with "Sons of Anarchy", a show dealing with the Outlaw/Vigilante Biker Subculture and how they deal with Extreme circumstances. Its a fantastic drama, one of the most entertaining Television Series' I've ever seen in my entire life... and I am very very picky about my TV entertainment.

Sim

Registered Member
Right now I'm absolutely content with "Sons of Anarchy", a show dealing with the Outlaw/Vigilante Biker Subculture and how they deal with Extreme circumstances. Its a fantastic drama, one of the most entertaining Television Series' I've ever seen in my entire life... and I am very very picky about my TV entertainment.
Sounds interesting, I haven't heard about that before. Which channel is running it?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That runs on "FX" Channel, Same channel that runs "Nip/Tuck", "Rescue Me", "its Always Sunny in Philadelphia", and some other lesser known ones.

Sons of Anarchy Official Website | Tuesdays 10 only on FX

There are quite a few GF members (Cons, Kons, Anita, etc) who can back me up here. Its a very fantastic show, one that I didnt even intend on watching in the first place... the first Season is only $20 basically anywhere. The First season hooks you in, the Second season engulfs you entirely. The show is currently on its 3rd season, only 3 episodes deep and its already got me pinned to the back of the sofa.

Sim

Registered Member
There are quite a few GF members (Cons, Kons, Anita, etc) who can back me up here. Its a very fantastic show, one that I didnt even intend on watching in the first place... the first Season is only $20 basically anywhere.
It indeed looks interesting. I'll see if I can get it anywhere. You say it's available for $20 on DVD or BD?

The problem with American shows here in Germany is that except for illegal downloading, it is very difficult to find some of them:

Some don't make it into German free tv, and those who do often take one or even several years. Also, I think the policy of the companies to make DVD/Blu Ray releases is rather poor: In many cases, there is no BD release in Germany (even when BDs are on the market in the US and UK already), but a DVD release at best -- while the same shows are available in 720p or even 1080p as illegal download. So when the downloaded version even has a considerably better picture quality than the DVD pack, it's hard to understand why you should spend money on it (especially when you expect a BD release eventually, after months or years later. Why spend money on DVDs, when you just have to wait for BDs?). And US or UK imports are usually hilariously expensive.

Also, a general rule is that mainstream shows are much more easily available in Germany, than special interest or fringe shows (which often are the most interesting shows): No problems to get 24, Lost or CSI on DVD or BD, but Sopranos is more difficult already, let alone special interest shows like Big Love or The Wire.

I think that's a pity, because I believe many people would be ready to spend good money for good tv shows, if there was just a good offer by the companies. At least I am.

Another problem for me is the language barrier: In some cases, when there is a lot of slang or dialect in an English show, I have troubles understanding it, and need to wait either for a German dubbed version or at least subtitles (for example, I did not understand a single word in "The Wire" until I got a German version). But on imported DVDs or BDs, there are usually no dubbed versions and only seldomly subtitles.

But you also find many fan-made subtitles for illegal downloads online, which of course is only relevant for the people who don't shy away from downloading tv shows.

But I'll try to find that show. You really evoked my curiosity! :lol:

(And of course I won't recommend anybody to illegally download anything in public. Stay legal, folks! :cool:)

Honestly, I'd like to see another mob drama... but only if it was done as well as The Sopranos (a tough task I know).

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I wouldn't mind seeing a show about the punk/goth/emo sub-culture. Sure, the show will be dull and morbid at best, but it worked for Twilight, so why not a show. Maybe take the approach of the fan/groupie/etc? Could be mildly amusing. :-/

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
In the past decade, especially pay tv channels on cable have started with a wave of drama/family series which all focus on a particular subculture, which makes them interesting, because the everyday life of people with very weird and alien habits was shown to the viewer:

First there was "The Sopranos" about Italian-American mafia mobsters and their family life. "Six Feet Under" about Californian funeral home runners. "The Wire" about drug dealers and users in welfare ghettos. "Queer as Folk" about homosexuals and their problems. "Mad Men" about culture around 1960. "Nip/Tuck" about two plastic surgeons, one of them sex addicted and the other an unsympathetic loser. "Big Love" about a Mormon polygamist family, one husband with three wives.

All of these shows have in common that they show the everyday life of particular subcultures or demographics most people don't belong to themselves, which are more or less excentric, but which have enough similarity with the general mainstream they can relate to the people they see.

So my question is: Which subculture would you like to see a drama tv series about, which is made in a similar fashion? Anybody you always wanted to see a series about?

Personally, I would love to see a drama/family show in a similar fashion as the abovementioned, about Muslim immigrants in the West (America or western Europe). In a manner that both differences and problems regarding integration are mentioned, yet the emotions and situations behind these people's actions explained in a manner that allows the viewer to sympathize with them, and recognize their flaws as just human.

I think that could make a great show.
Something close to what you said. At first I was thinking of a show about the residents of the department here famous for the riots and car burning. They live in Seine-Saint-Denis in dept 93 and are sometime simply referred to as Neuf Trois (nine three). That area has the highest concentration of immigrants (not necessarily Muslims but ethnic minorities mostly from former colonies) so I'm curious to know more about how it is with them.

Btw, have you watched The Shield?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Honestly, I'd like to see another mob drama... but only if it was done as well as The Sopranos (a tough task I know).
Boardwalk Empire is a new show on HBO that I believe is largely based on the mob in the prohibition era. I'm interested in it, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I don't know if I'll like it as much as The Sopranos just because of the time period.

This is a good thread. I hate how many cop, doctor, and lawyer shows there are. Seems like every year there's a few new ones of each. Why are people so fascinated by those things? I prefer original shows that depict the everyday life of different things, such as The Sopranos or some of the other ones mentioned in this thread already.

The Muslim immigrants in America idea is awesome. I can only imagine how much controversy it would create though.

I'd like to see a drama about a homeless man, or a group of homeless people.