• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Which sports has the best athletes

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like the thread title states, which sport do you believe have the best athletes?

I'll go with Hockey. Every attribute you could name to make a top athlete is required in hockey. Plus they do it on two blades an eighth of an inch thick. The season also lasts eight months of the year and playing three games in four nights is not uncommon. No six or seven days in between games.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've always thought tennis had the best athletes. Tennis players have only themselves to rely on in their game. They have to be fast, agile, strong, and have good stamina.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I assume most people think American football but I'd go hockey like the Biz did. I don't watch Rugby so people who watch that don't yell at me for not picking it haha

HOckey players are the toughest SOB's in the earth, they play on ICE, and they have games 3 to 4 games a week...football? One time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There are so many different ways to answer this question depending on how you view the meaning of the word "athlete".

To me, best athlete means most athletic, or the best combination of speed, strength, agility, and jumping ability. Think Bo Jackson or Lebron James. Those are pure athletes. Freaks of nature.

Using those parameters, football has the best athletes and basketball is probably second. Beyond that, it's not even close. What other sport has so many guys who are 200+ pounds, run a 4.4 second 40 yard dash, vertical leap 35-40 inches or more, and can bench press over 400 pounds?

Football and basketball are so heavily dependent on size and athleticism, whereas sports like hockey, tennis, and soccer are waaaaay more skill based. Don't get me wrong, they are all incredible athletes, but not in the same sense of the word as football players.

I will say though, I agree that hockey players are the toughest athletes, right up there with rugby players and wrestlers (not the fake variety).

Konshentz

Konshentz
That's a tough one to answer. Hockey players are the toughest, for sure. Best athletes? I'm not sure. I'd lean towards football players. Jeanie has a good point when it comes to tennis though. Anything outside of golf or pool or bowling could easily get a vote. Haha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Think of it this way. Have the average player from each sport compete against each other in a decathlon. I say average player because some sports have a wide range of positions and physical attributes, like football. And to win a decathlon you have to be a well-rounded athlete.

Events in a decathlon...

100 meters
Long jump
Shot put
High jump
400 meters
110 meter hurdles
Discus
Pole vault
Javelin
1500 meters

The average football player would wreck the field and would fare well in every event besides probably the 1500m.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I do love tennis, and I'm always amazed at the things they're able to do. While I wouldn't call them the best athletes, I think you could certainly make the case for them, along with soccer players, being the fittest athletes outside of true endurance sports like distance running or cycling.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Boxers at the top of their game rein supreme.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just to add to my thoughts about Hockey having the best athletes.

Requires the hand-eye of baseball, the stamina of basketball and the physicality of football.

Oh, and you have to do it on skates where the players are travelling around 25 mph.

smh122

Registered Member
I'd go NFL....Between 300lb guys running 40 yards in 5 flat and 6'2 220lb guys having 40 inch verts, I think the league is just full of guys more gifted in various ways athletically compared to any other sport