Which sport translates from college to pros better?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the translation between college sports and pro sports.

It seems to me that NBA skills transfer a lot easier between college and the pros.

Baseball has a huge time layoff between college and pros that can last more than a few years in the minors.

Football is a little better than baseball but it can still take 3-4 years for skill players to really develop into star players.

I'd say basketball is by far the best transition. You are far more likely to see a rookie in the NBA holding his own than in the NFL. The NFL is a drastic change since, in most cases, it's a huge increase in total speed and strength from college.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm sure most people are going to agree about basketball from college to professional seems like the best transition. The easiest way to put basketball on top... a few top players have came right from high school to the pro level and are playing hall-of-fame careers.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Basketball. Players can go right from high school to the NBA (before the 1 year rule) and be productive as rookies. The NBA is mostly about athleticism. There's not really huge playbooks to learn and offenses/defenses to read like there is in football.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Definitely basketball and it's not close, I'd say Baseball is probably the hardest it's not often you'll see a College player getting drafted and going straight to the Majors. You'll see them playing a few years in the Minor Leagues before.

Unless your really talented or a team needs all the help they can get, players will be entering the league at 24/25.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yeah, I'm a baseball fan and only casually pay attention to other sports, so it always seems weird to me when I hear about a basketball/football player who gets drafted, and people already know that he's going to be the team's new starting player at that position.

Th3Pr3Tz3l

Registered Member
It's definetly basketball for the best transfer. But what is second best?

I think a drafted player in the NFL is a crap shoot. Draft a quarterback fourth overall and he might never see your roster to start a season.

Baseball is a bit better for consistently turning out players but there is still a long time between college and pro's.

Hockey is quite consistent when it comes to NCAA players having success in the NHL, but the NCAA season (18 games I think?) versus the NHL's 82 means they often need a good AHL season to get conditioned for the NHL.

Who's numero dos?