• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Help Which should I upgrade?

Kanji

Registered Member
A Dell Optiplex gx260 with a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 or a Gateway 310SE with a 2.4 ghz celeron?

The dell pc's case is easy to get into,
but only has 512mb ram

The gateway pc is a pain to get into
but has 1gb of ram.

They both have intel integrated graphics
the dell is intel extreme graphics and
the gateway is intel extreme graphics 2

I know this should seem simple, but I have heard that
celeron cpus tend be pretty slow, and was wondering
if the pentium 4 makes up the difference?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What are you doing with the computers? The P4 is the clear choice no matter what but both are outdated now. The Celeron lacks a L2 cache which slows down processing big time.

If you're doing more than internet browsing with each you're going to have a bad time.

dDave

V.I.P.
What do you mean by upgrade? Replace the computer completely?

Steve is right. Out of those two, the Pentium 4 is the clear winner. I wouldn't even consider the celeron because if the lack of L2 cache.

Unless you're looking to do some very basic/oldschool gaming or we browsing, then neither computer will hold up anyway.

In short though. Pentium 4 > Celeron. Every time.

Kanji

Registered Member
What I mean by upgrade is that I will take the ram and hard drives out of one of them and put it alll into the other one that is all for now.

fyi I'll be using it to play old video games with.

Doc

V.I.P.
The integrated graphics is the big problem you're going to run into trying to play old games. Even Diablo 2 is going to be sluggish on your frankenmachine. You'd be best suited to take the best parts from the Celeron and put it in the P4 and then purchase a cheap 512mb or 1gb video card from Newegg. You can probably pick up a 512mb video card for $20.

Doc

V.I.P.
Where are you going to get the card? NewEgg has it discontinued.

Kanji

Registered Member
Well I have made a ebay saved search for that card so I'll probably get it through ebay now.