Which one hurt the sport more?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's been a few things that have been done by players that has hurt baseball's reputation.

-Black Sox Scandal
-Pete Rose Gambling
-Steroids
-Labour Strike in 1994

Which one of these do you believe hurt baseball the most? Please explain your answer.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's hard to say how much the Black Sox scandal hurt baseball when it happened, but it was so long ago it doesn't matter now.

The labor strike made people upset, but all sorts of companies go on strikes all the time. I don't think it was too bad for baseball's reputation.

The thing with Pete Rose also probably wasn't as bad, because it was just one person screwing up - it wasn't an entire team, or all of MLB. It was a worse incident than some of the other stuff, but it was isolated.

So I'd say the steroids have the most impact now, although the Black Sox scandal may have been bigger in its time.

Ryuk

Registered Member
My head is saying the steroid issue but my heart is saying the 94 strike, because that really tore at me like nothing else had.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's been a few things that have been done by players that has hurt baseball's reputation.

-Black Sox Scandal
-Pete Rose Gambling
-Steroids
-Labour Strike in 1994

Which one of these do you believe hurt baseball the most? Please explain your answer.
This is a very tough question. I think had the Black Sox Scandal happened a little more recently I would say that in a heartbeat.

I think I'll go with the steroids situation. The Pete Rose deal sucked but only for one guy and the Labour Strike was terrible but that happens in businesses sometimes and you have to find a way to make peace eventually.

Even though steroids weren't illegal throughout this whole mess it still sucks. Its catching up to baseball, it makes Bud Selig look like a bigger tool then he already was, and people were cheating and tarnishing the game that I love. Not only that they are putting themselves in danger by doing this.

People turned a blind eye to what was going on. Guys like Clemens, Bonds and McGwire were the biggest names so they take the biggest hits on this.

My two cents.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Back in 1918-1919 the Black Sox scandal killed Baseball in my opinion. It took about three or four years for fan to respect it again. Babe Ruth really saved the sport when he came in as a full time hitter and he started to hit his monster home runs, which fans weren't accustomed to.

I wouldn't say the Pete Rose scandal hurt the sport all that much, it hurt the Reds organization more than anything else. It would be different if it was an Umpire who got caught.

The 1994 Labour Strike hurt the game a lot, it lost a lot of fans after that strike, it wasn't till the McGwire and Sosa chase for 62 home runs that the fans started to watch the game again. Ripken's streak really helped as well.

Now this brings me to the Steroid issue, I believe it killed the sport, and a lot of fans stop believing that players could be that successful at baseball. A lot of fans looked up to McGwire, Canceco, Bonds, Clemens and many others. Even though we don't know for sure if three of those four guys juiced, I still believe it the game in a lot of different ways. Some fans even stopped watching the game, because they thought it was full of cheaters.

So I rank it like this:

Black Sox Scandal(was almost the end of baseball)
Steroids ERA
Labour Strike
Pete Rose Gambling.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah, I don't think Pete Rose even ranks in the Top 50 of things that hurt baseball, if the list could even get that long. Hell, I'd put "Rising Price of Hotdogs" above "Pete Rose".

I'm not knowledgeable enough of the other incidents to really comment, but steroids are definitely hurting the sport. Fans aren't seeing the long ball as often anymore and that's definitely affecting attendance. All these allegations against famous players are probably screwing with fan loyalties as well. It's got to hurt to hear your favorite players get involved in this sort of thing.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In my opinion the Labor Strike and the Steroids have been the biggest issues that I've seen happen to MLB. When a labor strike happens its never good on a sport, especially if it goes as far as a lockout and even Replacement players like 94 did. It just goes to show how much the money has gotten to the athletes heads and really drags the whole fun of the game itself into the mud.

Steroids have been a big issue especially lately. I remember hearing an interview from Jose Conseco just a couple days ago about how when he was on McGuiers team how they were all Juicing up. So conspiracies like that about tainted records really make for that "why try" attitude. Again taking away from the fun of the sport itself.