• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Which next gen console will sell the most?

Hottest Disney Channel chick?

• Christy Carlson Romano

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Alyson Michalka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brenda Song

• Tia and Tamara Mowry

• Anneliese Van Der Pol

• Ashley Tisdale

• Hillary Duff

• Total voters

Pianobone

Registered Member
Well obvisouly all three consoles will be the best selling items for their respective manufacturers. Why? Because last year the gaming industry came close to tying the movie industry in total sales, according to some article I saw on the news. I forget the exact numbers, but we're talking billions in sales annually. Gaming is big business now. It has emerged from dingy arcades and mothers' basements to become a mainstream media presence.

I like that Nintendo is trying to pioneer new technologies in the gaming world. That's what Nintendo has always tried to do with their consoles and games, but ever since the Gamecube, I have been concerned that Nintendo gets a little, "We're too good for you 'common folk' if you don't like our new artsy-fartsy games and systems." Yes, they innovate, but it seems like they do so at the cost of good games and losing customers.

Nintendo will always be around. Mario and Luigi are a staple in American pop-culture and franchises like Zelda will continue to sell games. They could make a game where all you do is press "A" and watch Link jump up and down for 8 hours and it would still sell 5 million debut copies simply because it has a Zelda title.

So is Nintendo going to sell the most consoles or make the most profit? In my opinion, no. But they are going to have some interesting games and ideas this time around. It's just not enough to make me want to buy one.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Pianobone said:
last year the gaming industry came close to tying the movie industry in total sales, according to some article I saw on the news. I forget the exact numbers, but we're talking billions in sales annually. Gaming is big business now. It has emerged from dingy arcades and mothers' basements to become a mainstream media presence.
From everything I've heard, the gaming industry is actually much bigger than the movie industry.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Games have been doing that for several years now...

Nintendo will always be around. Mario and Luigi are a staple in American pop-culture and franchises like Zelda will continue to sell games. They could make a game where all you do is press "A" and watch Link jump up and down for 8 hours and it would still sell 5 million debut copies simply because it has a Zelda title.
Nintendo may always be around, but please explain Wind Wakers numbers, it hasnt sold 5 million copies... I dont think its even reached 2 million

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think a lot of people were turned off by Wind Waker's childish appearance. The next Zelda will probably sell a lot better.

Pianobone

Registered Member
I didn't mean Wind Waker sold that. My point was people will buy anything just because it has "Zelda" on it. It's not just a name, it's a brand. Mention "Lambourghini" and people automatically assume fast, sleek, sporty, etc. Just the name Zelda would sell copies of a game, so Nintendo needs to use that to their benefit and not ruin a good series.

Shawk

Registered Member
Bunch of Ps3 fanboi's...

If you want a Ps3 you are confused, they are lossing all their developers, it is way to hard to make games for that POS thing they call a system.

And the only reason Ps2 was good was because it had those developers, it doesnt anymore.

Pianobone

Registered Member
Call it underhanded, but Microsoft does seem to just buy out good developers (Rare, Bungie).

Having good developers make software is key to the success or failure of a system. I think that Nintendo seems to be losing out on this the most.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
I am very confident that Nintendo is reshaping their image, quality, and fanbase. I think that they will make a strong run at first and if not end up in first this race, will eventuall gain their dominance again. Also, I would not be surprised if there is a merger of some form with more big name companies. I would not be surprised if Nintendo bought a nice developer if their numbers are not down right threatening to other competitors early in the game.

Pianobone

Registered Member
Ninendo just got complacent. They haven't really pushed the envelope on technology as much as Sony or Microsoft, IMO. They rode a big tidal wave out of the 90's with PokEmon and all that crazy Japanese crap that kids are addicted to these days. I guarantee you, Ninteno made out like a bandit from that stuff. But it seems like they're more interested in making money than making games these days.