• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Which next gen console will sell the most?

Hottest Disney Channel chick?

• Christy Carlson Romano

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Alyson Michalka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brenda Song

• Tia and Tamara Mowry

• Anneliese Van Der Pol

• Ashley Tisdale

• Hillary Duff

• Total voters

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Which next gen console do you think will sell the most?

The poll has a few options for ranking. I think XBOX 360 will this time around because it is going to have a year head start on the other two. Anyone who can't wait for next gen console gaming is going to have to get one.

This could all change though when the other two come out. The focus will leave the XBOX and people will be talking about the Revolution and PS3.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think it'll be any different than the current generation of consoles, except the gap between Xbox 360 and Revolution will probably be bigger than it was for Xbox and Gamecube. 360 will probably close the gap slightly on PS3, but I think almost everyone who owned a PS2 will end up getting PS3, so there's really no way for Nintendo and Microsoft to catch up.

nman77

Registered Member
Backwards compatibilty probably means that people will go with the same company again so they can play all of their old games.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Is backwards compatibility really that big of a deal? From what I've heard, most people who have a PS2 never play their PS1 games anymore. And it's not like you couldn't still play them on PS1 anymore anyway.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
I don't think it'll be any different than the current generation of consoles, except the gap between Xbox 360 and Revolution will probably be bigger than it was for Xbox and Gamecube.
The Xbox and Gamecube launched within a week of each other if I remember correctly, so the launch window this comeing gen will be significantly larger

360 will probably close the gap slightly on PS3, but I think almost everyone who owned a PS2 will end up getting PS3...[/qoute]

Thats highly debateable, With such a large gap between 360 and PS3 and Nintendo aiming for a launch around the time of the PS3 the numbers can can change drastically this comeing generaton.

...so there's really no way for Nintendo and Microsoft to catch up.
Its all about the games!! Not the Hardware they run on!!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, as far as I know, 360 will be backwards compatible as well.. Revolution I'm not sure about, but it does have the classic game downloads that will help. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't backwards compatible as well.

PS3 will do well because PS2 did. PS3 also will have a totally redone online experience, which could be pretty good. Anything would be better than the PS2 online afterthought..

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Well you see, the 'Revolution' (still a code name as far as anyones concerned) has the ULTIMATE backwards compatibility. It not only allows toy to play Gamecube games, but WITH Gamecube controllers and memory cards!!

Along with that, you will be able to d/l many classic games from Nintendo to play on the 'Revolution'. Sure most of those games will cost you up to 5 bucks to download and most likely have some free games... The ability to d/l classic games I can no longer find to add to my collection is the biggest thing about Revolution (to me at least)

I think I might have posted this somewhere else, but MS and Sony, last I heard, were haveing problems getting this generation games working properly with the next gen consoles. I know the PS2 had some problems with PS games, but from what I have read, this is alot bigger than that.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
SamusAran86 said:
Its all about the games!! Not the Hardware they run on!!
Exactly. Everybody knows what kind of games Nintendo will have. The same people who love their Gamecube will most likely buy a Revolution. There's really no reason to think there will be a lot of PS2/Xbox owners switching over to Revolution for their next console. If they didn't love Mario, Zelda, and Metroid before, they won't start loving them now. Revolution owners will be mostly the hardcore Nintendo fans and perhaps people who are looking for the cheapest console or looking for something different.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
yes, but how many PS or MS gamers for that matter wouldnt mind playing a game of Super Mario Bros. or any NES SNES classic...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Obviously nobody would mind playing those games, and I think it was a great idea by Nintendo to make them available for download, but I wonder how many people are going to buy a Revolution for that feature alone. What's going to sell consoles are new games, not classic games or backwards compatibility. Until Nintendo gets better third-party support, it will not be able to compete.