• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Which new console will you be buying?

PS5 or Xbox Series X?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Konshentz

Konshentz
Pretty straightforward question. Which of the new gaming consoles will you be buying?

dDave

V.I.P.
I’m probably buying neither to be honest.

Only reason I bought an XBOX One S was to play 4K Blu Rays. Good to see the Series X and PS5 will both have that feature.

If I get a new console I’d probably lean toward PS5 simply because there are certain PlayStation exclusives that interest me (Last of Us series being at the forefront for me).

I have a Nintendo Switch and I just built a new gaming PC so that’ll keep me busy for a long time.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'll more than likely be buying both. PS5 is a day one, as Sony has definitely had the stronger lineup of exclusives and I'm pretty certain that's where my main friend group will be headed next gen. As for the Xbox, that's gonna be 6 or so months after launch. Hopefully they will release a few non-Halo exclusives to get me to buy it. While under-powered, my current Xbox One will still play all the games coming out for the next year or so. No need to rush.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me, my PC is all I need for personal gaming. Now that I am a family man with kids, any console I buy would be with kids and multiplayer in mind. Nintendo Switch is on my short list, but my kids haven’t minded playing my original XBOX (and we don’t play often) so for now we’re just holding out with that. The graphics are HORRIBLE but they haven’t played enough games yet to ask for better ones.

dDave

V.I.P.
For me, my PC is all I need for personal gaming. Now that I am a family man with kids, any console I buy would be with kids and multiplayer in mind. Nintendo Switch is on my short list, but my kids haven’t minded playing my original XBOX (and we don’t play often) so for now we’re just holding out with that. The graphics are HORRIBLE but they haven’t played enough games yet to ask for better ones.
There’s something to be said about raising your kids on older stuff. I know some fanatics that insist on raising their kids on SNES and N64, maybe throw some Genesis in there. I’ll be interested to see how this impacts their kids developing taste in games as time goes on.

As for the switch. Just get if for yourself! Kids will enjoy it and you’ll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it yourself.

I think if anyone is looking to get into 4K movies at home then you can’t go wrong with the PS5 or the Series X. If I didn’t already have an XBOX One S, I’d be looking at a new console for sure. Great way to upgrade to 4K disc capability without having to buy a dedicated player.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
As for the switch. Just get if for yourself! Kids will enjoy it and you’ll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it yourself.
I have a 2080 Ti. I could use a Switch for platform dependant games but that's it. Everything else is being played on PC for sure.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Even if I eventually made the plunge into PC gaming, I'd still at least have to have a Sony console. There's no way I'd wanna go without their exclusives, or at the very least have to wait 3+ years to hopefully play them. But for competitive shooters like Siege and COD, I'd love to be able to step my game WAY up my using mouse and keyboard. Maybe one day. Haha.

dDave

V.I.P.
I have a 2080 Ti. I could use a Switch for platform dependant games but that's it. Everything else is being played on PC for sure.
Nintendo has always been best for platform dependent games anyway. I haven’t bought a single cross platform game for a Nintendo console in the last 15 years. Nintendo is all about the exclusives.

And yeah, a 2080 Ti is a totally acceptable reason to focus on PC gaming. I have an RTX 2060 Super and it’s amazing.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I've had both Xboxes and the PS4 exclusives don't really do it for me anymore. I'll probably keep rolling along with Microsoft until they do something to really screw up a console.

Konshentz

Konshentz
They definitely screwed up the launch of the One. Game Pass and backwards compatibility ended up saving it a little near the end.

I am surprised you don't enjoy the Sony exclusives. But then again, I don't really know your taste in games. I love story-driven third person action games, so that shit is right up my alley. Haha.

I did love Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break from Microsoft.

I'm just excited for the next generation of consoles. Now we just gotta hope good ole 'Rona doesn't delay them too much.