Movies Which movie is this?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by fragile, Oct 18, 2008.

1. fragile

fragile Registered Member

Hi,

Anyone knows the title of this movie?

It's a bit old (not black & white old), and is about people stranding on a deserted island. Or at least they think it is. It turns out there's monsters there, because of some sort of project they were doing there I think. They find this huge lab or something.

I also believe that they were models and crew (the ones that ended up on the island), because they were doing a photoshoot in the beginning. It's a long time since I saw it, and I only remember just small parts of it.

2. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

sounds either like the original king Kong or like Jurassic park

3. fragile

Uhmmmm..................................................

No.

4. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

It would be helpful if you could remember any actors who starred in it or any more details. The outline of the plot you gave is simply too general in nature. In fact there's been three or four movies I've seen on The Sci-Fi Channel over the past six months that had similar plots.

5. fragile

Well, it's just that I saw it as a kid, so I don't remember too much. Like I said, I think they were models because in the beginning they were having a photoshoot on the beach. Then there was a newsreport or something about something horrible coming (don't remember what, but like a hurricane, virus, aliens that sort of thing). So they get in this helicopter to escape.

Another scene is that they have this inflatable lifeboat, and as they try to either "set sail" or drag it up, you see this octupusthing coming towards them under the surface.

I don't remember any of the actors, but I'm guessing it's a movie from the 80's maybe. The reason for why I was reminded of it, was that I saw this episode of "My wife and kids" with Damon Wayans. They're "stranded" on an island, and she says something like: We're going to end up like those models on that island with the monsters!
    So I thought maybe it was a "famous" movie.

6. DLFerguson

The problem is that one person's "famous" movie is another person's "Huh?" I could probably name a dozen movies that I consider "famous" but you might never have heard of. I'd like to be able to help you out but without more details or at least the name of an actor who was in it I wouldn't even begin to know how to hunt up information on it.

7. fragile

Well. You're missing the point. It's not a famous movie if no one knows about it, but I don't mean that everybody should know it either. But there's a better chance that someone would recognize it if it's a famous movie. That's why I mentioned it. I mean, if I were to describe a batman movie, there's a pretty good chance that someone would know which one, but if I were to describe a "famous" local movie, it would be quite hopeless.

8. DLFerguson

I beg to differ. I didn't miss the point. You said that since it was referenced on a an episode of MY WIFE AND KIDS (one of my favorite shows BTW) you thought it was a "famous" movie. Maybe at the time the episode aired it was..."popular" let's say...so maybe a lot of people did know about it and got the reference.

There are plenty of "famous" movies that no one has heard of. Most people I know are only familiar with movies from the last five or ten years or so and if I mention movies from the 30's/40's/50's/60's/70's that are considered "famous" they say that they've never heard of those movies.

I guess what what I'm trying to say is that "famous" is a relative term.

9. fragile

Is my wife and kids from the 80's? No....

And I still mean that a movie can't be famous if no one has heard of it. Come on. I agree that a movie can be "more" famous when it first comes out or whatever, but the point is that it's famous because people have heard about it, seen it etc. Movies like Casablanca or Gone with the wind are "old", but they're still famous. They wouldn't have been if no one had ever heard about them.

10. DLFerguson

There are movies that are just as old as CASABLANCA or GONE WITH THE WIND that are just as famous as they are but I'd bet that you and most of the GF members have never heard of. Mostly because most of the GF members are in their teens/early 20's and those movies aren't as hyped as CASABLANCA or GONE WITH THE WIND. But if I mentioned those movies to some of the older GF members they'd know those movies. Different point of reference.

What is "famous" to a 20 year old may not be "famous" to a 40 year old and vice versa.