Which Linux?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jayadev, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jayadev

jayadev Registered Member

As a windows user for long I want to switch over to Linux. As I know there are many versions of Linux available like Mandrake, SlackWare, Ubuntu etc. Which one do you recommend keeping in mind the user will be using multimedia/graphics/office suites and internet. Thought the machine is a P4 Dual Core; but I don't want the system to take much resources. Thanks in advance.

2. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

I normally recommend Knoppix (LIVE CD) first to new users. It'll let you play around with a full blown linux without destroying your windows partition. If you are still interested after that, I'd go with KUbuntu (Ubuntu with KDE installed by default instead of GNOME).

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I hated Ubuntu, I've always been reccomended to use Red Hat. Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) isn't exactly a great OS, though it's very clean and effective.

4. hemisync

hemisync Registered Member

I've heard knoppix is a good one to start with. I'd have to go that way, or possibly red hat as stated earlier :)

5. myessence

myessence Registered Member

I using Fedora, one bloodbrother with redhat. Fedora is free. support, hardware, mailing list, easy you get in internet.

Fedora very good working in Intel, big memory and harddisk.

6. Thermal

Why would you define Ubuntu as "not exactly a great OS"? There is no different between Ubuntu and KUbuntu outside of the windows environment that is used. Since distributions are all pretty much the same, it really comes down to stability, security, support, and their package management system.

Problem with Fedora/Red Hat is it uses RPM (Red Hat Package Management). If you need/want to use software that your distribution doesn't support for you version, A.) you're forced to upgrade to a supported version, or B.) compile from source. When you want to upgrade to the next version, your force to boot from the install Disc.

In (K)Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo, have much better package management systems. You download, install, and uninstall all from the command line. If a dependency is need, then it is download. Upgrading from one version to the next is just a command line away, and you never need to reboot unless you change out kernels.

The only times I would ever recommend Fedora/Red Hat over Ubuntu is if they have a slow internet connection, or possibly in a business setting. Otherwise, Red Hat just isn't flexible enough.

7. Doc

I lost 100+ gigs of data even though I had propoer partitions and I completely followed install instructions.

8. Thermal

Losing data is always a possibility when you are partitioning a drive, especially when you are not experienced with the OS. Linux distribution typically use the same tools for partitioning, such as fdisk/makefs, so the problem wouldn't be Ubuntu specific.

9. jayadev

jayadev Registered Member

I did not had any problem with partitioning of my Hard Disk and installing Linux. I used Mandrake and found it good but that was way back in earlier 2005. I am hearing a lot about Ubuntu. I think I have to check Ubuntu.

10. Doc

Oh, and I had a hard time getting my dual-monitors to work (I know it's possible, though).

In short (I'm not disagreeing with you, by the way, I knew the risks I ran in the partitioning), Linux wasn't for me because I don't have the time to invest in learning a new OS when I'm already very comfortable with tweaking my Windows and the comofor I have in it.