Which language is most difficult to learn?

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by Isabella, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Isabella

Isabella Registered Member

I have been told by a few different people that the most difficult language to learn to use is chinese. What language do you think is the hardest to learn to speak and understand and everything? :sick:

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I heard Chinese is fairly easy to learn if you learn to speak it before learning to write it. You can also learn it with English spelling (pinyin) which helps.

English is one of the harder languages to learn as well. Obviously most of us would beg to differ but it's really confusing how it has so many grammatical rules and variations that really make no sense to people learning it as a second language.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I'm not sure since I only speak English and Spanish and have never tried learing another language, although I plan on learing Italian.

I would agree with Hybrix in that if you don't know English and want to learn it, I would suspect it would be pretty difficult because of all the grammatical rules.

4. TheDonkeyofPoker

TheDonkeyofPoker Registered Member

English is the hardest to learn because it has the most words
    ironic to see a board called foreign languages on a the internet

5. Isabella

Isabella Registered Member

yeah i heard that too .. and i agree with you =]
    and about the chinese...ummm i don't think so..? because its not clear =[

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I would say Chinese but I've never tried or found a reason to learn Chinese. Now Russian was hard, where I failed to grasp the complicated sentence construction.

7. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I did French at school and all that feminine-masculine participles buggered me up and made no sense.

Japanese looks impossible to the eye but like Hybrix said, it's apparently easier to learn than we believe.

8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Traditional chinese looks extrememly hard to learn, haha. But I'd agree with English. We have so many phrases and grammar rules that make no sense to people of other languages.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You guys believe English as so many grammar rules, you should look at a french grammar book, it's extremely hard to learn. Also like EMO mentioned, the word is either femanine or masculin most of the time, which could be very confusing for people. I think French is harder to learn then English.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Japanese is as easy as any other language to learn spoken, but hard to learn to write. It's like being a kid and learning the alphabet again. Only there are 2 sets of alphabet (Hiragana and Katakana) and then Kanji, which is a whole bunch of symbols, then to confuse even more there's the part written in english letters. So yeah i'm going to say Japanese is difficult to learn, as I imagine is Chinese.