Which is better?

Hi there:cool:
I need your advice.I am working for a small company.
Instant Messenger has been widely used today.But in an office,which is better choice?Using a public instant messenger or dedicated instant messenger for enterprise?Thanks in advance.

Here is something I found on Wikipedia:

"A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service Internet hosting where the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone. This is more flexible than shared hosting, as organizations have full control over the server(s), including choice of operating system, hardware, etc. Server administration can usually be provided by the hosting company as an add-on service. In some cases a dedicated server can offer less overhead and a larger return on investment. Dedicated servers are most often housed in data centers, similar to colocation facilities, providing redundant power sources and HVAC systems. In contrast to colocation, the server hardware is owned by the provider and in some cases they will provide support for your operating system or applications."

Since you're in a small business I'm not sure if your boss wants to spend the extra dough on getting a dedicated server. Though, if you can afford it, it could be more useful than shared.

Foke

In my company we use Sametime, it has a lot of features, but it down side is its price (although, it has a great variety of licence flavor).
Bottom line is, rather you use public o dedicated, deponds on the kind of security (and privacy) you want to implement.