• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Which God is more appealing...?

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
God #1: A God who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as good, and allows the pain, evil and death to reside in the universe for all eternity.

God #2: A God who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as not good, and casts the pain, evil and death out of the universe, never to return again.

Which God is more appealing to you?

Hiei

The Hierophant
God #1: A God who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as good, and allows the pain, evil and death to reside in the universe for all eternity.

God #2: A God who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as not good, and casts the pain, evil and death out of the universe, never to return again.

I want a god who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as necessary to show how great the pleasure, how pure the spirits are, and how great life is. Everything is a balance and without something to balance all the good, paradise will be lost.

I don't find either of your proposed gods to be appealing.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm not sure if I understand your question but if the pain and evil are seen as good then they are worthy to reside in the universe forever.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
I want a god who evaluates a universe filled with pain, evil and death as necessary to show how great the pleasure, how pure the spirits are, and how great life is. Everything is a balance and without something to balance all the good, paradise will be lost.
- If life and pleasure are so great then what is so appealing about a God who allows those things to continue to exist for all eternity?
------
I'm not sure if I understand your question but if the pain and evil are seen as good then they are worthy to reside in the universe forever.
- I'm asking for your preference. Which God do you wish would be the one true God?

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
- If life and pleasure are so great then what is so appealing about a God who allows those things to continue to exist for all eternity?
It's like I was saying about the balance. If you were move to paradise. Everything is exactly the way that you want it, eventually, you'll get tired of everything being exactly to your specifications. You wouldn't appreciate it for being as great is it really is. That's why we need to have the opposite of that. We need death so that we can value life. We need pain so that we can be comforted. We need evil so that we can see true greatness.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
It's like I was saying about the balance. If you were move to paradise[:] Everything is exactly the way that you want it, eventually, you'll get tired of everything being exactly to your specifications.
- I don't think you are thinking deeply. How is it possible to grow tired of paradise? If it were truly paradise I would not have grown tired in the first place.

You wouldn't appreciate it for being as great is it really is.
- Again, how? I don't think you have truly grasped what paradise is. Wikipedia, in my opinion, describes it pretty well:

"Paradise (Old East Iranian: pairidaeza) is a place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless . It is conceptually a counter-image of the miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness. It is often used in the same context as that of utopia."

So, I ask you, how can you grow unhappy with your environment when you are in a state of perpetual happiness??

That's why we need to have the opposite of that. We need death so that we can value life.
- Right... but I didn't ask about a God who evaluates our values, I asked about a God who evaluates death itself.

We need pain so that we can be comforted.
- Again, you are right... only because you can't be comforted if you are already as happy as possible. But, again, why would you want the possibility of being comforted from previous pain if you are already on "cloud nine?"

You aren't saying that you like pain are you?

We need evil so that we can see true greatness.
- Imperfection has no place in perfection.

So, I take it that your simple answer is that you prefer the one true God to be a God who evaluated death, pain, suffering and destruction as equally valuable to life, happiness and creation?

Hiei

The Hierophant
- I don't think you are thinking deeply. How is it possible to grow tired of paradise? If it were truly paradise I would not have grown tired in the first place.

- Again, how? I don't think you have truly grasped what paradise is. Wikipedia, in my opinion, describes it pretty well:

"Paradise (Old East Iranian: pairidaeza) is a place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless . It is conceptually a counter-image of the miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness. It is often used in the same context as that of utopia."

So, I ask you, how can you grow unhappy with your environment when you are in a state of perpetual happiness??
To me, it's all about getting bored with paradise. If it's the same thing everyday, for the end of time, I feel like I'd get bored and simply want to go do something else. I wouldn't value paradise for how great that it really is. If I'm not thinking deeply enough about what paradise really is, I don't think you're thinking deeply enough about how grand the rest of time is. Let's say that paradise, for me, is being a farmer on Hawaii. 400,000 years down the road, that probably wouldn't be paradise to me if I've been doing it for that amount of time. I'd get to see all the flaws with it, no matter how small they might be to anyone else.

- Right... but I didn't ask about a God who evaluates our values, I asked about a God who evaluates death itself.
I think a god that's just evaluating death, pain, and evil and doesn't evaluate our values probably wouldn't give a shit about us anyway. Why should I put my faith in something that's not going to care about me?

- Again, you are right... only because you can't be comforted if you are already as happy as possible. But, again, why would you want the possibility of being comforted from previous pain if you are already on "cloud nine?"

You aren't saying that you like pain are you?
I'd want the possibility of being comforted to no pain at all because like I keep saying, I'd appreciate it more. If you give a dog a bone every once in awhile, he'll love you for it. If you give a dog a bone every day, he expects it. It's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all.

It's only once you have felt pain that you can truly experience and appreciate happiness as a much greater feeling. I'm not saying that I like pain, but if it weren't for that pain, I wouldn't be able to feel as happy as I do. If I felt happy all the time, happy would become my normal feeling. Then to feel happy by that standard, something extremely positive would have to happen to get me happy.

- Imperfection has no place in perfection.
The brightest of lights have the darkest shadows. The Yin has the Yang and even in the light there is always darkness. That's because it's all a balance.

So, I take it that your simple answer is that you prefer the one true God to be a God who evaluated death, pain, suffering and destruction as equally valuable to life, happiness and creation?
Yes, that would be my simple answer.

Last edited:

Daemonic

Registered Member

The first one, because it understands most of those things are all subjective. The second one is a control freak. I also don't see why death is not good....

JaneSmith

Registered Member
hmmmm. Old question. Omnipotent, omnipresent or omniscient?
I say he created and left. He doesn't watch or control or that whole evil thing.