Which American president is responsible for the largest budget deficit?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm trying to learn more about the former U.S Presidents and stuff, and I was curious to find out which American president is responsible for the largest budget deficit?

Could you please tell me why that President is responsible for the largest budget deficit.

2. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

My first answer is obviously Bush, but then I'm sure FDR was responsible for a large one too, given there was WWII and helping reform during the Depression.

3. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I don't know the numbers (I think I heard Bush's was the largest..not sure) but if you want my take on our national debt, I blame FDR for starting a trend of massive spending when we just don't have the money.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

It's depended on a number of things. Bush's is huge (the entire Iraq war is fought on credit, mostly gotten from China), Clinton managed to balance his after cutting spending on the Bush I era spending policies on defense.

Adjusted for inflation, I'd guess FDR, though I'd like to see Lincoln's.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

FDR held the debt steady until the war. Reagan was really responsible for skyrocketing the debt in an unprecedented way. Bush Sr. then continued that trend, and Clinton did as well until his second term, at which point he began running a surplus. Then we elected another Bush who somehow put even Reagan to shame. :shake:

Debt Graph

So, yeah, there you have it.

------

Here's more numbers from here:

Average Yearly Budget Deficit (adjusted for inflation)
    Kennedy-Johnson: $31.36 billion
    Nixon-Ford: $87.84 billion
    Carter: $120.7 billion
    Reagan: $242.23 billion
    Bush I: $289.68 billion
    Clinton: -$1.78 billion

Republican Average: $206.58 billion
    Democrat Average: $50.09 billion

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Well I was close, someone named "Bush" screwed us over.

7. Unity

Unity Dragon Clan Staff Member

Sad that the party that is so against "tax and spend" is the one who does it the most.

8. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

This is why spending should be cut FIRST, then deal with tax cuts. They obviously can't handle cutting taxes and THEN cutting spending. McCain has some good cuts in the planning, but not nearly as much as is needed, to keep taxes lower.

9. Unity

Unity Dragon Clan Staff Member

Honestly speaking I respect (but disagree) with the views of the true conservative. I just get frustrated when a candidate runs on these ideas and continually makes them talking points during his/her term, while actually spending like crazy.