• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Where were you/Where are you now

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is mostly for the veterans on the forums.

Where were you in the stage of your life when you first joined the forums, and where are you now?

In 2006, I was still living at my parents house, was three years away from purchasing my own home. I was still working part-time.

Now, I have a great job(only contract) have my own house, have a great nephew and niece. My car is almost paid off.

One thing that hasn't changed, is that I love to party(I've cut out going to a bars a lot) and I love to drink alcohol.

Bliss

Sally Twit
When I joined I still lived with my parents, but I am pretty sure I moved out to live with my boyfriend that same year. I can't really remember, but I know I was 22 years old and I am now 30.

In 2008 I had been in a relationship for 7 years and we are still together today. How great is that? We've had 14 wonderful years together and I am sure we will have many more. I'd love to tell you we're engaged, but he's still not popped the question!

I still work for the same company as I did when I first joined. However, I started some volunteer work this year as well. I spend 4 hours a week at ChildLine, which is a telephone counseling service for children.

I am also an auntie now! I love it. I have twin nephews (non-identical) and they've made my life much more fun.

I couldn't drive in 2008, but I've been driving for a few years now. I crashed my first car (oops) so I'm on my second now. It's a really old car, but it gets me from A to B.

Finally, some of you may remember I NEVER used to drink alcohol when I first joined here. In the last couple of years that has certainly changed. I am by no means an alcoholic, but I now love a drink on a night out. The reason I never drank was because I had horrendous hangovers, but I can handle it much better now. I just enjoy myself a lot more when I've had a few. I let my hair down a lot more that's for sure.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Amy it still surprises me when I see pics of you drinking.

In June of 2007, I was the mom of a 2 1/2 year old and I was working at a shitty dead end job that I hated. As of tomorrow I will be the mom of a 10 year old (!) and I have one semester left of nursing school.

I also had huge boobs in 2007 but earlier this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a bilateral (double) mastectomy so now I'm just a wee slip of a thing.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Haha Di "wee slip" is how we know we have too many U.K. friends on PopMalt. At least it sounds British, maybe it's not!

Anyway....

In January 2008 I was still working on my bachelor's degree. I think I graduated the following year...so it was just a regular semester at college. I know I was getting school fatigue already because I graduated high school in 2001. For those that know about my health issues, it took me a long time to go through school because of breaks for surgeries and stuff. I still had three years ahead of me but I was also in a good place with great classmates while studying social work. I was sick of school and remember always wondering where and when I could finally be in the working world - I was poor as dirt and watching friends move forward with their lives and careers.

Now I've been working for four and a half years as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. My boss wants me to eventually run our office when she retires in 4 or 5 years (we'll see lol). I got my LMSW and will be working toward the ultimate LCSW licensure for social work. My job is very routine and stressful but I try to be thankful that I've gotten where I have. It's a challenge to get people working and even more of a challenge to slow down and celebrate times you've helped because you have to worry about the next step in the quota.

On the health end of things, I was still doing nightly peritoneal dialysis in January 2008 when I started here. It was nice doing it at home because it allowed me to continue to be independent and go to school, but a mistake in the length of the tube in my stomach caused pain to be my morning alarm clock every day. That was fun, but I persevered. I'd keep doing that until New Year's Eve of 2009 when I had a kidney transplant.

I'm now 5 years (going on 6) years out of transplant and my health in terms of the kidney issues is great. The only thing I really need to worry about is getting in better shape and eating healthy, which is a nice departure from the more serious stuff.

I was single when I started her and still am. I go on dates here and there but when all of your friends are married, in a relationship, moved, gone, etc. it's hard to meet new people. I've had more dates now that I'm working and more independent so that's cool, but it's still something I loathe (see Seinfeld's monologue about seeing people on dates haha).

I'm fine with all of that, it will work out eventually. Family is what's most important to me - when I started I had a 3 year old niece out of town and month old niece (her little sister). Now they're 10 and 8, I can't believe how big they are. I also now have a 2 year old niece in town so I make sure to see her a lot and spoil her. I'm also her Godfather which is cool.

With family, a stable career, and relatively good health I'd say life is good now. I think that my type of career and some other things (a couple of friends passed away way too young in 2011 and 2013) have definitely aged me since I started here. I'm not as positive as I used to be for sure, but I'm proud of how far I've come. Luckily Millz and I are immature goofballs so I still act like an idiot and have fun with my life haha.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Oh wow, I kinda feel like I'm a completely different person now than when I first showed up on GF or um, Popmalt I guess. In 2010, I was 23, I believe, in my last year of college and about to start my first internship. Oh and still living at home.

After the mod fiasco, I kinda disappeared for a few years. In those years, I had a shit ton of ups and downs in my career. I left my job back in June (mostly because of stress on the job itself and because of the shitstorm brewing in my personal life) and now I'm awesomely unemployed. I had a few people I love pass away and fell in love with, and started a 10 month relationship with someone I met on this very forum, which is something that I very deeply regret. I hate being that person who rags on their ex, but seriously fuck that guy. Here's hoping I never see his FACE on GF again.

On the heath front, things have been mostly up and down. I've noticed that anxiety and depression have really gotten the best of me this year. At one point I had two failed suicide attempts in June and then August.

However, with all that shit, let's talk positive. I've been able to cope with my depression a lot better now than I did back in the summer. I've been getting the help I need and using all the resources available to me. I gotta say that this experience, while traumatic, really was good for my growth as an adult. Before, I used to think that suicide was something only a coward would do, but since I've personally been there now, I kinda have a new prospective on it. It's made me a lot less judgy and a lot more sympathetic. Since then I kinda want to channel that into a career now. I'm working on getting another student loan so I can go back to school to become a counsellor. Oh, oh! And while I was dealing with all this crap, I ended up becoming very close friends with Wade. Haha. He's helped me through what I would consider the hardest period in my life. I think I owe him a lot of credit for making it this far.

So to recap, things have definitely been bad but it's getting better. I found that in my case you can't really better yourself until you hit rock bottom. Speaking of which, that reminds me of another quote from Bojack Horseman:

"It gets easier. You just have to do it every day. That's the hard part. But it gets easier."

Gawd, I love that show.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Sorry to hear about your cancer Jeanie. Hope everything is going well with that. You too Bubbles and WarriorPoet.

Since I joined:
  • Moved from Alaska to South Carolina
  • Have had 4 jobs. Most of them crappy, the current job is really good.
  • Have rented 3 houses and have bought current house.
  • 2 businesses. One failed horribly and the current is doing really good.
  • Lost 40 pounds and feel better than ever.
  • Still in love with my wife and kids.