• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Where do you get your news?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me, it's Twitter. Yes, you have to be careful and check a few sources, but you don't get news faster than on Twitter - doesn't matter what the subject is. Twitter is amazing for many reasons, but instant news is probably the main thing.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I try to make sure that I get my news from a variety of sources that are as objective as possible. Local news, AP, etc. At this stage of my life I really like to get the facts and draw my own conclusions without a lot of opinion. You know, news. I avoid Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC for most things. I'm left-leaning politically as most of you know, but honestly I get equally perturbed by biased stuff from either side that isn't calling itself a straight-up editorial piece.

I do agree that Twitter is good for news, but I always look directly at the source before taking any of it for more than a grain of salt.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I use The Guardian for checking headlines and seeing if there's any interesting or breaking news out there. I like that it's a reputable British media outlet, and while it does have a lot of US political coverage, there's also a big emphasis on world news. It definitely has somewhat of a left-leaning bias, particularly on social issues and in the editorials (which are usually garbage), but I find their reporting to at least be credible and accurate most of the time. But with any news that I think is important, I always check multiple sources for verification.

I occasionally like to read the Wall Street Journal. I think their reporting is typically accurate as well, even if there is somewhat of a slant to the right.

While not technically a news site, I really like FiveThirtyEight for their statistically-driven analysis of politics and sports.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
TV, newspaper, radio....and of course, Twitter; although we have to be careful. Got caught a few times about some news that I should've checked out first before rejoicing or anything.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
TV. Australias 24 hour news network "ABC 24" and also "SBS World News Australia". Online I check The Age and ABC news sources, as well as CNN website and BBC almost daily. I also just generally see and hear stuff through social media which I then read more/watch more about.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Mostly from texting, family members, the gardener, or the housekeeper,
They get it from sources like Twitter, texting or snap chat.

If I think it's worth posting then I check other sources.
Some media I avoid is extreme right or extreme left rags. In mainstream I avoid Fox, CNN, Russia Today, and BBC.
Mostly I use the New York Times, the Washington Post, Forbes, Business Insider, Reuters, Rossiyskaya gazeta, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Moskovskiy Komsomolets, Argumenty i Fakty, Krasnaya Zvezda, and the Daily Sabah.

I always use more than one media source to investigate a story so I can see more than one narrative and sort out the facts. That's not easy since most sources have an agenda.

EDIT
I avoid those 4 English-language media sources when I can but I can't always find the story in other English-language media sources so sometimes I don't have a choice.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
For me, it's Twitter. Yes, you have to be careful and check a few sources, but you don't get news faster than on Twitter - doesn't matter what the subject is. Twitter is amazing for many reasons, but instant news is probably the main thing.
This, except replace twitter with reddit. If something looks dodgy I'll check it out on bbc news

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I'm a pretty big redditor. I'll find most of my news out from reddit and dig from there. Local news is a little different, but I'd say 90% of my current events knowledge comes from Reddit, now a'days.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Definitely the internet. Like others, it's usually Twitter. The people on that site miss NOTHING. Haha. And yeah, I always try to do my own digging once a story as been brought to my attention.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like most of you I go to several different places on the internet because I know that msm doesn't always give you all the facts especially when it come to politics. I take anything they say with a grain of salt they have become so bias.