• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Where do you draw the line?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The Dallas Cowboys recently signed DE Greg Hardy, formerly with the Carolina Panthers. Us football fans know Hardy is a great pass rusher and was one of the best defensive free agents out there.

We also know Hardy was accused of physically beating his girlfriend some time back. The NFL hasn't made a decision regarding Hardy being suspended, if at all.

My question is, is there a line where you as a fan have to draw when it comes to your team signing someone like him? How about Ray Rice? Would you be ok with your favorite team signing Rice? Do you separate your team and rooting for them from what they do off the field? Or does it bother you when your team signs a guy who hasn't been a good citizen? Is there a difference between someone getting a DWI and physically attacking a female?

My personal opinion is guys that hit women are disgusting and are cowards, but shouldn't we as a society give people second chances? So I'm ok with this signing. Where I would draw the line is him doing it again.

What about you? Do you draw the line before and wouldn't even want him signed? Do you even have a line at all? Where do you stand on your team, or any team, signing players with "baggage", for lack of a better word?

Konshentz

Konshentz
That's a good question.

I'm not exactly sure where my line is.

If the Patriots were to go out and sign Ray Rice (thankfully that'll never happen), I would be pretty disappointed and my level of loyalty would take a small hit. I don't think I'd ever abandon a team fully over this though, well, unless they were to re-sign Hernandez (which will NEVER happen). I may completely change teams if something on that level were to happen. I do agree that people, at least some, deserve a second chance. Vick is a great example of that.

I'm just hoping the Patriots and Sharks are smart with their signings from here on out. I'd really hate to have to root for a new team. Haha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think a player's off-field conduct matters a lot. They're more than just athletes trying to win games. They also represent the values and integrity of an organization or university, and, more importantly, serve as role models to the world's youth. Athletes really do have an impact on society that goes far beyond what they do when they suit up for their team, and because of that, I believe they should be held to a higher standard.

Very few people are ever afforded the opportunity to attend college on an athletic scholarship, and far fewer will go on to play professionally where they will earn millions of dollars. That is a privilege, not a right, and, at least in my opinion, that comes with a lot of responsibility which should not be taken lightly.

When a player gets arrested and cut from a team, then subsequently picked up by another team, to me that speaks volumes about what that team values most, and most often that is simply winning, regardless of what they say about believing in second chances and whatnot. And in my opinion, that does not send out a good message.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Its like with the Winnipeg Jets and Evander Kane. He was a prick off ice. Walking out on a bills at restaurants what not. No one here was really sad to see him get traded away. Just because you make lots of money and play a professional sport doesn't mean you have more leeway in how you act. I'm all for second chances, sometimes the money gets to people's heads, but thats all someone should get. One second chance. After that, like any other job, you get fired.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
There's no question for me. I've seen video of one of these dicks roughing up his girlfriend in an elevator. This is sick and anyone who is that way inclined is not someone I would want to support as a fan. Even if I was a football fan, which I am not, I wouldn't care to contribute to this sort of individuals income after seeing how he treats his significant other. To continue to do so and cheer for him is to condone his violent behavior. It's all okay as long as you can throw a long pass or whatever. He should be made an example of. Can his ass and blacklist him from the sport.

- Cham

Stego

Registered Member
Across the board, I feel that if someone is officially clinically diagnosed as needing counseling / psychiatric support, then they need not just a second chance but also professional help. However, removing any diagnosing, a violent and aware abuser of power doesn't get a second chance.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think a player's off-field conduct matters a lot. They're more than just athletes trying to win games. They also represent the values and integrity of an organization or university, and, more importantly, serve as role models to the world's youth. Athletes really do have an impact on society that goes far beyond what they do when they suit up for their team, and because of that, I believe they should be held to a higher standard.
For me, this is really what it comes down to. Athletes do not have a say in this, they are going to be seen as role models and if they can't handle that, they need to quit.