• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Where Do You Download Your Games?

wooly

I am the woolrus
So from the original success of Steam, PC game downloads have become extremely popular. There's been a whole host of online game distributors now trying to get a piece of the pie in their own way, from smaller sites like GOG to big money sites like EA's Origin and then established stores like Amazon getting in on the act. So what online game distributors do you use (if any)?

Personally most of mine would definitely be done through Steam. There's something I like with having all my games in one place as well so there is a sort of brand loyalty in a sense ( even though I have a big problem with their regional pricing differences).

My second favourite is Humble Bundle. Absolutely amazing one of deals where you find some real gems for a price you choose yourself. You also decide how much of the money you want to go to Humble Bundle, the game developers or charity!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Steam. Absolute beast. Great sales, massive selection, great communities. I can't imagine myself ever using anything else. Except maybe that bay where some pirates roam. But that's rare these days ever since I found Steam. It's pretty much proof that good prices and availability will trump free and illegal all the time.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Steam, I have almost 120 steam games, most of them I bought through sales. Second to that would be the PSN store where I buy downloadable games for my Vita and PS3.

Ziggy

Sup?
GoodOldGames.com

I get most of my PC games from them. Cheap games that are all still awesome to play.

dDave

V.I.P.
Steam, Steam, and Steam.

Not even kidding. I'm annoyed that all games aren't available for Steam.

Some people think that Steam sucks, I'm not one of those people. I think it's an incredible program that really doesn't receive the respect it deserves.

I finished Mass Effect 1 and am almost done with Mass Effect 2 on Steam but can't get the third one unless I use Origin. I don't see the point, it's an inferior program and the prices appear to be higher on just about everything.

For stuff such as StarCraft II and League of Legends I download them from their services. I use Steam for everything though. I currently have 34 games in my library.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
It's usually Steam for the modern releases. For anything older or indie, then it's usually a mix of GoG, Desura and Humble Bundle. For old Commodore 64, Amiga or abandonware DOS games I can't get on GoG, then I head for the relevant abandonware sites.

Last edited:

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Most of my games I downloaded from Steam. I have a few other games on other ones like Origins and one other I can't remember the name of right now.

I would have to say overall Steam is the best, I hated it when it first came out years ago, but it has got a lot better since then and I use it all the time.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I haven't tried Steam before but now I'm kind of interested in checking it out with all the good reviews.

I have a lot of Origin, but that's just because I'm a Sim freak. I try to mostly buy discs though instead of downloading, but I have both.

For my little rinky dink time management games I buy, I have been getting them from Wildgames maybe? I'm not sure. It came on my laptop when I bought it and the logo was a blue on blue striped background with a large green W on it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I haven't tried Steam before but now I'm kind of interested in checking it out with all the good reviews.

I have a lot of Origin, but that's just because I'm a Sim freak. I try to mostly buy discs though instead of downloading, but I have both.

For my little rinky dink time management games I buy, I have been getting them from Wildgames maybe? I'm not sure. It came on my laptop when I bought it and the logo was a blue on blue striped background with a large green W on it.
Steam has always been my favorite, it's fast, efficient, and reliable. Their prices are also great and they have specials all the time (I mentioned the first two Mass Effect games for a combined total of $10 a while back).

Do you have issues with Origin download speeds for games? Mine seems to be running ridiculously slow. Installing ME3 DLCs is unbearably slow. It's downloading at a miserable 45.1 kbps and has been for hours. My steam downloads at about 500 kbps consistently.

I hope that's the only issue I have with Origin. If slow download speeds is the only issue then I can live with that, I'm pretty used to it compared to most people around here. Doesn't mean that I like it though. :lol:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Steam has always been my favorite, it's fast, efficient, and reliable. Their prices are also great and they have specials all the time (I mentioned the first two Mass Effect games for a combined total of $10 a while back).

Do you have issues with Origin download speeds for games? Mine seems to be running ridiculously slow. Installing ME3 DLCs is unbearably slow. It's downloading at a miserable 45.1 kbps and has been for hours. My steam downloads at about 500 kbps consistently.

I hope that's the only issue I have with Origin. If slow download speeds is the only issue then I can live with that, I'm pretty used to it compared to most people around here. Doesn't mean that I like it though. :lol:
I can't remember the last time I downloaded anything from Origins. The last few Sim upgrades have been by disc instead of download. I know that their updates are really slow, and I'm sure that has something to do with Origin...but I thought it was because of my super crappy internet.