Where are the women?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by cizzy23, Dec 29, 2007.

1. cizzy23

cizzy23 New Member

Im writing an article on female representation in gaming and Im interested to know your views on why theres a lack of female lead characters in games. Do they make games less appealing? Is it hard to relate a female lead? Are you indifferent? etc....

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'm not really a gamer, but I do kind of notice the lack of female leads. I'm kind of surprised, since you know what they say. Sex sells. If anything, I think it'd make games MORE appealing.

The only female centered games I can think of off the top of my head are those Dead or Alive games and Lara Kroft.

3. cizzy23

cizzy23 New Member

I totally agree with you, a female lead can make a game more interesting because its different to whats out there already. I think the problem really lies with the publishers... their not willing to take the risk with a female protagonist and therefore the games aren't available for the consumers. Its weird really, considering the success of tomb raider.

4. danielpalos

danielpalos Registered Member

Drakkan: At the Ancients Gates, is a pretty good game that has a female lead.

A lot of role-play games could have an option for which characters someone wants to play.

5. cizzy23

cizzy23 New Member

im not so sure that gender should be interchangable. when its simply an aesthetic choice i dont think it creates a good storyline. femaleness in gameing should make a fundamental difference to the whole gameplay experience like it does in real life.

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Well, dating back to the classic games, the goal was usually to save a princess/love interest, so it sort of seems that the game industry is adhering to a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality, at least when it comes to adventure games.

When looking at First Person Shooters, it is simply a matter of intended audience. They are aiming for the 14-23 year old male, so they make the characters big, tough, manly men.

As for fighting games, where the target audience is generally the teenage males, they take a slightly different approach. They need a diversity in the available characters, so they throw in females. However, since they still want to appeal to the teenage male, so they make the females look like this:
    [​IMG]

It's pretty much a situation where developers think it's a better idea to target males than risk alienating them by portraying women as strong, independent people. Just look at the fact that Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball sells as many copies as it does.

It's sad really...

7. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I've noticed that games with a female protagonist isn't as popular as the other games?

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I disagree with you. Metroid Prime, Perfect Dark, and Tomb Raider are all successful with a female lead character. I'm indifferent to if it's a female or male because all that matters is the game, and the story, and how they fit in.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Oh yeah. Metroid. I didn't find out she was actually a female until a few years ago. I don't think she really counts though. Unless you're a fan of the game or just plain game savvy, then you'd almost always assume anyone in a suit with a cool gun will be a man.

10. danielpalos

danielpalos Registered Member

You make a good point for mere interchangeability. However, I was referring to changes in characters, in the manner of Dick, or Heinlien when writing from the perspective of each different character. Thieves' World would probably also make a good game where the story changes due to the character being presented.

It might make the games somewhat more bulky, but they could have more playability.