Where Are the Jobs in America?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Encoder

Encoder Registered Member

To put this short and sweet, they aren't here.

3. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I am very lucky because I live within only a tiny drive to 3 of the places listed on indeed.com as having a 1:1 ratio of unemployed to job openings. Healthcare is a great field to go in, but around here it is oversaturated; we have tons of medical programs for nursing, respiratory, EMT, radiography, etc. in the area, so Richmond is one of the few places that doesn't need medical professionals to the degree that many places do.

I have to admit though, that over the past 2 years I have watched the job openings around the metro Richmond area rise quickly and consistently. Our rate of unemployment, in Virginia, has essentially leveled out and is on its way down. So, I can't say that all fields around here have tons and tons of job openings, but I'd say there is a lot of opportunity in Virginia right now.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Cities near Washington DC haven't really suffered the same way the rest of us have because of the exponential expansion of federal government.

5. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

The greatest expansion in jobs is with the government. Good paying jobs where you can sit on your ass all day producing NOTHING and expect to make six figures: Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com

In government you can make almost twice what your bosses (taxpayers) make on average and look down on them as "country class"!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I work for the Canadian Government, I don't make six figures but I do get paid fairly well. I don't just sit on my ass and do nothing either. I actually work my ass off at times. Yes, I'll have some free time, but so does almost every other jobs out there.

I might of read what you were trying to say the wrong way, but if not then I kind of find it offending.

7. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Sorry BR, no offense intended. That is why I wrote "producing" as government produces nothing and takes it's income from from those that do. The "country class"'is reference to the article I linked that no one read! Lol

Still, I find it bothersome that those that do not produce make twice as much as those who are forced to pay those salaries.

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I imagine that is so. We have definitely seen our hit here and it is still very evident, but it is getting better. I was just pointing out that when most people think to go into the medical field for an insta-job, around here it is quite difficult because the market is over-saturated.