When your desired username is taken?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mirage, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you do when your desired username is taken on a site that you are trying to sign up for?

I usually check to see if it's an active user and if it's not then I'll usually contact the site directly and ask nicely to have the account deleted so I can have the name.

When they come back and say "Sorry but we don't ever delete accounts, even inactive ones" I get pretty annoyed. I hate thinking of new names and I really hate when the name I wanted is being wasted by somebody who has never done a single thing with it. Half the time they haven't even logged in since creating the account.

Sometimes I will just refuse to register.

So, what do you do when this happens? Do you get really annoyed or is it no big deal to just pick a new name?

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I have a slew of names that I generally stick to on any forum that I sign up with. I've never actually come across a site where all of those names are taken. But just for the fuck of it, I'll list those names now.

Hiei
    Hiei8100
    IAmHiei8100
    Mustakrakish
    N. Frank
    Nigger Frank
    Spire

But like I said, those names have never all been taken for me. If they were, I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably think up something else. I've never actually thought of contacting the site directly. That's pretty funny, though.

3. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I use the same username when I register. If it already exists I think up another one. Except for GF I wanted something different and mine was available.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I get contacted by new members here every once in a while asking about usernames that are taken and I usually just delete them if they are inactive and let the new user have the name. (Unless it's an account that has a lot of posts and a past reputation here)

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Dear Sir,

Please delete the account of General Forum member Nibbles forthwith and let me use that name.

Thank you,

Nibbles the Great
    123 Fake St.
    behind the cow-barn
    Notlob

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

WTF?! You could use my avi for the day if will make you feel better. And if I remember correctly, your username was Tuckergently. Were you stoned the day you signed up? BTW Brixy how can a user change theirs like Iris did?

7. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

If my user name is already taken, which I have only seen once, I will just put . at the end or a number. I don't really see my user name being used which is awesome.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

You could have had any name you wanted for GF. Why go with "Hybrix"? ;)

I will just think up a new username until it accepts. I do care about my username but I wouldn't ask the owner to let me use someone elses.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

You do that here in GF? Delete inactive accounts? Like if Rebeccaaa so requests that you delete Rebecca so she can have a more normal username spelling, then you'd do it? (Note: hey Bex, why not just change your name to Bex).

I registered with playlist last week and I typed all usernames I normally use only to find out they're taken. It was annoying to see the "sorry, name is in use" at each try. I even tried words like holyshit, whatthe, seriously, dammit, waaaaaaaah, pfft, and other exclamations towards the end out of frustration...but apparently someone else out there already had the same idea before me so they're taken. :lol: If it's just another forum, I probably would have stopped trying. But it was a playlist site and badly needed one so I finally tried using my last name (usually they're not used in English dominated sites). It passed.

10. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I would like to, but I heard it's a scary process. Possibly involving puppy-dog eyes. :aww:

------------------------

If a desired username is taken on a site then I would never think of contacting them, I'd just go with something else. Most of the sites I sign up at I don't care what my name is because I don't plan on staying there long. If I do then I will up some thought into a new name but usually end up just sticking '67' on the end.