• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When You Think Of.... #2

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
So here is another "When you think of..." thread to discuss...

"When you think of CRUISERWEIGHTS, you think of....."

When I think of cruiserweights, I think of Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho, Ultimo Dragon and the greatness that was the WCW Cruiserweight Division. It is still unmatched to this day, and if the WCW did not go down the shitter, the CD would still be king.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When I think of Cruiserweights I think of a great division in WCW that tried to put on a show for the fans everytime they stepped into the ring.

NWO, Sting, Goldberg were the big boys in WCW but the Cruiserweight division brought something new to the fans and they ate it up. There was so many great matches, moves and things that we don't see today in the WWE unfortunately.

Some of my favorites were:

-Ultimo Dragon
-Chris Jericho
-Rey Mysterio
-Eddie Guerrero
-Juventud
-Kidman

Here's arguably my favorite Cruiserweight match of all-time.

YouTube - Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr. - 8/15/96 Pt. 1
YouTube - Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr. - 8/15/96 Pt. 2

Here is one of my favorite moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENT6asElNiM&feature=player_embedded#!

We don't get enough moments like this these days, Malenko gets a huge pop and tons of fans mark.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
When I think of the cruiserweight title I think of WCW and how awesome, yes awesome, they pushed the division. It was the reason I kept watching WCW during that time. I got sick of Hogan and the NWO alot but the cruiserweights kept me watching.

I actually just watched that Malenko clip the other day and wow, what a pop. I miss those days haha. I try to forget the mockery McMahon made the division but at the start WWE did a nice job but it went downhill quick.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My answer is similar to everyone's, with somewhat of a twist. I think of the WCW cruiserweights that had me amazed when I first got back onto wrestling (watching WCW right before and after the nWo had formed).

When I first think of them, the luchadors come to mind...I was a fan of the cruiserweight division as a whole, but back then I loved masked wrestlers big time. We need more now (I'm crossing my fingers on the two guys in FCW, forget their names right now)...these wrestlers brought a taste of wrestling from outside of the U.S., which I really appreciated. The culture and style was a lot different from what I had grown up with, and it was awesome.

Now, I think of TNA's X-Division. For those that have watched regularly like myself since it came to Television, you can look back and you're able to think of a TON of amazing high-flyers that competed in the division. A few are:

AJ Styles
Christopher Daniels
Kazarian
Samoa Joe (a little over the cruiserweight number, but that's how it can work in TNA)
Low Ki
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Petey Williams
Jay Lethal
EY
Alex Shelley

These guys added an insane pace and a new amount of speed that quite frankly made the WCW cruiserweights look slow. The 6-sided ring, while unpopular, was great for their matches.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
When I think of cruierweight I think of WCW. No doubt the best cruiserweight division ever. Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerro...just to name a few. This was one of the few reasons why I watched WCW from time to time. If WCW still existed I bet it would be a whole lot stronger now.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Now, I think of TNA's X-Division. For those that have watched regularly like myself since it came to Television, you can look back and you're able to think of a TON of amazing high-flyers that competed in the division. A few are:

AJ Styles
Christopher Daniels
Kazarian
Samoa Joe (a little over the cruiserweight number, but that's how it can work in TNA)
Low Ki
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Petey Williams
Jay Lethal
EY
Alex Shelley

These guys added an insane pace and a new amount of speed that quite frankly made the WCW cruiserweights look slow. The 6-sided ring, while unpopular, was great for their matches.
Now the X-Division sucks royally.

BigBob

Registered Member
Obviously WCW is one of the first things you think of, but Rey Mysterio is one of the first people I think of whenever I think cruiserweight. Not as much anymore because the last time I watched, he was getting huge world title pushes, but from when he first came into the WWE and when he was in WCW.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Obviously WCW is one of the first things you think of, but Rey Mysterio is one of the first people I think of whenever I think cruiserweight. Not as much anymore because the last time I watched, he was getting huge world title pushes, but from when he first came into the WWE and when he was in WCW.
Wasn't he in ECW as well?