• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When you leave your PC for an extended period...

Which of the following do you do most of the time?

• Total voters

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Do you turn it off, leave it on, put it to sleep, standby or hibernate?

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
~LoL~ @ 'put it to sleep'.

I always shut it down. I don't like to waste electricity or let the computer get over heated or something.
I have a laptop now anyway and I always turn that off when I'm not going to be using it for a while.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Depending on my mood and laziness, I mostly leave it on even if it has been like this for a whole week.
Never do I turn it on but I often hibernate it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Mine is usually always on because I'm probably using it as a charger. Both my phone and my zune plug into it as a charging source, so a lot of the times I charge my phone as soon as I get home, and charge the zune overnight.

The computer will go to sleep in most cases, but sometimes it will just turn itself completely off if it's not in use.

wolfy

Registered Member
I selected sleep, at least that's what I think it does.. it's a netbook, I just close it.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Shut down, it's on all day though almost every day since I'm always using it.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I typically shut it down because you should at least restart you computer at least once a day.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What's so funny about putting it to sleep? It's an actual term. I guess it's different in your area.

Anyway to answer the OP, if I'm leaving for more then 30 minutes then I'll just close my laptop, I don't turn shut it down or anything. If I leave for less then that time then I'll leave it on.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I am sure it is a general term. It's also what you say when you're having a pet killed at the vet. "I put my dog to sleep yesterday."

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
A few hours, then I just put it on standby (or I hope it does). I mean, I just put the cover of the laptop down and it stops some processes. I have to switch on the "on" button lightly for my comp to start again (but it's not a full reboot).

If I'm going out for half a day, and I'm not downloading something or working on something I prefer to be readily accessible on screen, then I shut it down.