When you give help..

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
When you help the others by their request or even when they didn't seek for your help..., what do you feel?

do you feel happy because they now think you're worthy ?
or you feel happy for doing good and getting someone out of a difficult situation?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
When you help the others by their request or even when they didn't seek for your help..., what do you feel?

or you feel happy for doing good and getting someone out of a difficult situation?
When you say "the others", do you mean family, friends, people on forums or all of the above?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member

I enjoy helping people. But I usually won't offer help / advice unless they ask for it.

I don't know if "worthy" is the correct word but I would say that I feel happy just knowing they know that I'm there if they need me. (if that even makes any sense?)

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I enjoy helping people. But I usually won't offer help / advice unless they ask for it.

I don't know if "worthy" is the correct word but I would say that I feel happy just knowing they know that I'm there if they need me. (if that even makes any sense?)
If I understand this right, you are asking whether we do good deeds for the benefit of others a) to increase their life standard or b) for own own self-gratification?

If that is the case, I say I do it for both. I am a very generous person with time, money and attention. I volunteer at an Aids-Orphanage and get pleasure from knowing I am helping improve their lives as well as satisfaction in my own life for giving back.

Does it matter that much what reason you are doing it for. Even if you are doing it for yourself, you are still helping someone, so both parties win, right??

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
If I understand this right, you are asking whether we do good deeds for the benefit of others a) to increase their life standard or b) for own own self-gratification?

If that is the case, I say I do it for both. I am a very generous person with time, money and attention. I volunteer at an Aids-Orphanage and get pleasure from knowing I am helping improve their lives as well as satisfaction in my own life for giving back.

Does it matter that much what reason you are doing it for. Even if you are doing it for yourself, you are still helping someone, so both parties win, right??
That's a lovely thing you do for those children in need, CG. <3

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That's a lovely thing you do for those children in need, CG. <3
Aww, thanks Storm. I must say though that that could easily prove a point here though. Do I do it to help them (YES) or do I do it to get noticed...? I got noticed, which is flattering, but then you are not by my side whilst holding them and playing with them, so I do it for them...

Very fascinating subject though. I can certainly understand why people who give are mistaken for people seeking attention. Which is why I ask, does it matter why they are doing it, as long as they are doing it?

Take Angelina Jolie for instance, I think people could be getting sick of her generosity, but I say, as long as she is generous to the good of the people, let her be. Let her adopt every baby from every nation if that gives them a better life.

Makes sense??

I get satisfaction from helping others, so yes, there is personal gain involved, but as long as it is derived from making other people happy/feel better/whatever, then I see no problem with it. I'm not sure that altruism truly exists, anyway. I also have helped out many times in the past and not mentioned it to anyone, so it's not like I do it to be 'worthy', as you put it.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Aww, thanks Storm. I must say though that that could easily prove a point here though. Do I do it to help them (YES) or do I do it to get noticed...? I got noticed, which is flattering, but then you are not by my side whilst holding them and playing with them, so I do it for them...

Very fascinating subject though. I can certainly understand why people who give are mistaken for people seeking attention. Which is why I ask, does it matter why they are doing it, as long as they are doing it?

Take Angelina Jolie for instance, I think people could be getting sick of her generosity, but I say, as long as she is generous to the good of the people, let her be. Let her adopt every baby from every nation if that gives them a better life.

Makes sense??
Of course it does.:)

I suppose I never looked at it from a greedy prospective, lol. I enjoy helping people for the simple fact that it helps them, not because I want to draw attention to myself. And I don't think I've ever looked at many high profile men and women (or anyone for that matter) who have donated their time / money / effort into helping the less unfortunate around the world as "attention seekers". I mean if anything, they're doing something for others out of the kindness of their own hearts and to me, that's a good thing.:)